Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes the best intake manifold for a stock 454.. Nothing tall...as I don't want to deal with hood clearance problem...

I will in the future add a little cam...

Looking for recommendations and opinions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any other recommendations... Anyone want to take the time to school me on the differences between dual plane or single plane...

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
edelbrock performer rpm or weiand stealth-gotta be dual plane
Good choices. Single-plane intakes have a straight-shot from the carb to the intake port; good for drag racing and high rpm, sucks for a street engine.

Just look at pics of a torker (single plane) and perf rpm (dual plane).

If you are using a stock flat hood, clearance might be an issue. A cowl hood clears with no problems.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Well if you plan on adding a "little cam" try to match the intake manifold now with the cam you might put in. I would also suggest a dual plane. Edelbrock Performer is my choice. If you decide on a "bigger cam" go with the Edelbrock Performer RPM.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
also --do you know if you have oval or rect. port heads--gotta know that before you order intake--if you know the numbers on the heads, we can tell you--oval ports gives more gains with the edelbrock performer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Compared to the stock "pancake" intake, the regular Performer is an unbelievable performance piece. With a mild cam and good exhaust, that's what I would go with on a mostly stock 454. The RPM is only better above 4500 rpm which is pretty much where most stock 454's are done anyhow.

And it should fit more easily under more hoods. I have a mild 427 with 291 heads (large oval, 100cc) destined for a short bed truck and that's what I spent my money on FWIW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts