Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching on this topic, I guess I'm going to give in to my son and paint the intake manifold. Does the intake get that hot? What paint would hold up? VHT? I am going to paint it black.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Regular automotive paint should hold up, not the spray can type. You can have it ceramic coated like Jet Hot. It'll reduce the air temp from what I heard.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's aluminum. The engine is a ZZ4 that's going into a 67 coupe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would recommend getting your intake powder coated. I just had mine done with Eastwoods "Almost Chrome" finish. Turned out very nice and no more polishing of the aluminum constantly. Cost me $60. I did protect the powder with a light coat of automotive clear, did dull the finish slightly but not much.

·
Registered
170 Posts
powder coating is my choice....i have painted several intakes...all with heat proof paint, ceramic paint etc....as soon as gas or hot oil touches them..bingo the paint comes off.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've painted and powder coated intakes. I really prefer the original finish if possible. Maybe I had bad luck but the powder coat flaked off under the attachment bolts in a few places.

Paint can also be easily damagaed generally. However, I've found if you bake the part (manifold or whatever) in the oven for 20 minutes at 325 it really hardens up the paint. It becomes sort of like a high quality catalyzed finish.

One word of caution - it should not be done in the kitchen oven! The fumes are nasty and probably toxic, it will wreck the oven for normal cooking for a while, and it will really aggravate your wife!

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts