Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 383 stroker engine for my '68. My question is what is the best intake I can fit under the stock, flat hood of my car? I am using the original 275 HP 327 block as a base (was already bored .30 when I got the car).

I have an older edelbrock aluminum 4 bbl intake, but I want to get the best intake I can under the hood for more airflow.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I believe any one of the aluminum 4bbl intakes will fit under the hood on a 68. I personally like the Holley 300-36 dual plane hi rise .It has long runners and makes excellent torque great for a small block Chevy. Alex

·
19,864 Posts
With my old 406 SBC and a Vic Jr. (RPM AirGap about same height) fit. It all comes down to your air filter ;)
I used a drop base set-up.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Every test I have ever seen for a street car the Edlebrock Performer RPM is the way to go. I have one on my 68 and it fits perfect with a 1.5 in tall air cleaner. I don't like the look or see the need for a monster air cleaner that requires a drop base. I have the K&N lid with a filter in it just for good measure.

·
Registered
293 Posts
With my old 406 SBC and a Vic Jr. (RPM AirGap about same height) fit. It all comes down to your air filter ;)
I used a drop base set-up.
Doug, which drop base setup do you use? I recently got a 14x3 reuseable air filter. Unfortunately my current setup will only allow a 2 inch filter, I found out. Givien the long lead time and expense associated with shipping stuff to Japan, I want to make sure I order the correct filter housing.

I'm running an Edelbrock dual plane Performer and 1 inch spacer/heat shield under an Edelbrock 1406 carb. I suppose I could remove the heat shield but I'd rather keep it.

·
19,864 Posts
I think its a 1.25" drop base....I'd have to measure later today.

·
19,864 Posts
OK, just remembered :rolleyes:

Just went out and measured from the bottom of where the filter sits to where it sits on the carb flange using a straight edge across the underside... I got 3/4"....so I guess it's a 1" drop :confused:

·
Registered
293 Posts
OK, just remembered :rolleyes:

Just went out and measured from the bottom of where the filter sits to where it sits on the carb flange using a straight edge across the underside... I got 3/4"....so I guess it's a 1" drop :confused:
Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts