Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dudes.

I'm in the latter stages of building up my '68, all the "heavy" work is done, now on to the details :)

So I have a .060 over Mark IV 454, Edelbrock 454-0 aluminum heads, SRP pistons, a Comp Cams Mutha Thumpr cam, and a steel crank. Should be a good hi-revving motor for a big block.

But now I'm moving onto the intake/carb

I have the old Edelbrock Quadrajet clone (850CFM, though) and the old Performer 2-0 from the original build that I'm definitely not putting back on there. But what to replace it with?

I like the smooth look of the non-SS stock flat hood, so something that sits low would be nice; but at the same time it needs to flow to feed those huge ports on the heads. The Edelbrock Torker-2 and a Holley 850 Double Pumper seem like it might work well, but I haven't used this combo before... and with the long block set up so nicely, I don't want to mess up at the finish line with a crappy intake.

Suggestions?

Obligatory pic:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Not a fan of the Torker? If so, what do you think the difference will be between the Performer RPM and the Torker? They both seem to be higher RPM intakes.

I looked at the RPM first, but it seems to sit a lot higher; which is of concern for the clearance issues.

·
Registered
589 Posts
What you want is a ZZ454/502 GMPP take-off, or new. Its an RPM intake that's been cnc-port matched to fit the Edelbrock heads beautifully. If you even see one, you know immediately what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Not a fan of the Torker? If so, what do you think the difference will be between the Performer RPM and the Torker? They both seem to be higher RPM intakes.

I looked at the RPM first, but it seems to sit a lot higher; which is of concern for the clearance issues.

The Performer RPM is a great intake, and will fit under the hood if you get the right air cleaner combo on it. Do some measuring first to make sure your aftermarket subframe hasn't done something that will make me a liar. :D

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
weiand team g and a holley 850hp!!..get a cowl hood, factory style and stop pussy-footing around and let that puppy breathe and let the world know you got a bbc under the hood...itll look silly with a fat motor and a flat hood and beating the ground!! it will look like you didnt have enough money to buy a hood!! hahaha

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Performer RPM is a great intake, and will fit under the hood if you get the right air cleaner combo on it. Do some measuring first to make sure your aftermarket subframe hasn't done something that will make me a liar. :D
Good point about the subframe--didn't even think about that. I'll have to get the front wrap back on and do some measuring ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
weiand team g and a holley 850hp!!..get a cowl hood, factory style and stop pussy-footing around and let that puppy breathe and let the world know you got a bbc under the hood...itll look silly with a fat motor and a flat hood and beating the ground!! it will look like you didnt have enough money to buy a hood!! hahaha
Hahaha... we've put a full TCI front clip, and the rear 4-link on it, which lowered the car a good 3 inches already. Up here in far North Cali, we have lots and lots of twisty mountain roads to play on, and I wanna fly under the radar with this thing :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you have a month or so to wait and around $500.00 to spend on porting, I'd highly recommend sending your intake of choice to Dr J's Performance in Orange, CA. He ported my Victor Jr and one of the things he said it would do besides increase the air flow speed is to improve the idle quality. My engine idles at 750-800 all day even with a large cam. I think you'd be pleased with the results. This way perhaps you could run a lower profile ported intake that would give you all the performance you want without any hood clearance issues.

http://www.j-performance.com

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
:hurray:
Hahaha... we've put a full TCI front clip, and the rear 4-link on it, which lowered the car a good 3 inches already. Up here in far North Cali, we have lots and lots of twisty mountain roads to play on, and I wanna fly under the radar with this thing :)
you really need a lilttle rise in the intake for best performance under harsh throttle loads!!..the more time and air the fuel has to atomize the better she'll run and the more power the ole girl will have!! thats just my opinion!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
What you want is a ZZ454/502 GMPP take-off, or new. Its an RPM intake that's been cnc-port matched to fit the Edelbrock heads beautifully. If you even see one, you know immediately what I'm talking about.
X2...Perfect plenum and runner volume for those cubic inches. A Weiand Team G Stealth will be too large unless you go with more cubes.

Mark Jones/VortecPro builds some nasty bbc's with gm heads. 620 HP out of a 475 bbc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have a month or so to wait and around $500.00 to spend on porting, I'd highly recommend sending your intake of choice to Dr J's Performance in Orange, CA. He ported my Victor Jr and one of the things he said it would do besides increase the air flow speed is to improve the idle quality. My engine idles at 750-800 all day even with a large cam. I think you'd be pleased with the results. This way perhaps you could run a lower profile ported intake that would give you all the performance you want without any hood clearance issues.

http://www.j-performance.com
Good idea! thanks for the link!

·
Registered
114 Posts
You're welcome. I'd also recommend asking them to elongate your intake manifold bolt holes if they aren't already. I had only 12 thou shaved off my heads to fix a small warp and then my intake manifold bolt holes were slightly off. Apparently some aftermarket intakes are drilled for completely stock heights etc.

I'm just in the process of reinstalling my intake and the only other thing I'm doing is following the FelPro instructions and gluing the intake gaskets down to the head without the rtv on the front and back.

Then I placed the intake down on the head and snugged it up for a day to check for any gasket shift. I noticed when I was cleaning up the intake the last time it was removed that maybe 1/8 inch of the port was blocked due to the gasket shifting. ( It was installed by a shop.) I'm going to carefully trim any gasket that is covering the intake port on the head after I remove the intake before I finally seal it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts