Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are aluminum intakes so much better than cast iron? I know that they are a lot lighter and flow better than the cast but why. I thought that it was probaly due to port design and shape, but couldn't they design the cast intakes the same as aluminum!

·
Registered
171 Posts
One of the major advantages of aluminum is it's ability to dissapate heat which is a major killer of HP. The cooler the air charge the better. Weight is another consideration. As with cast iron heads which can flow as well as aluminum the heat and weight come into play in a big way. How's that?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Cast iron intakes were generally made for lower hp motors. They were built for torque
and power at a lower rpm range. The ports were smaller to keep air/fuel at a higher velocity at lower rpms. The aluminum intakes
are designed for higher hp at higher rpms. Larger ports, sometimes open dividers deliver maximum flow at high rpm. Generally used on high rpm soild lifter motors.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Chevy does make a cast-iron Z-28 high rise style intake that they use on boat engines to combat water erosion/corrosion.
Its a great manifold if you are in a class that says you gotta run a CI one. I think it will bolt both a Q-Jet and a Holley, but not too sure?

And up to 4500rpm or so a stock CI Q-Jet manifold is a heck of a good one!!! pdq67

1 - 5 of 5 Posts