Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is going to work... I had the idea of using an LED headlamp to serve as a turn signal and use the standard lower valence without the holes for the rectangle signal lamps.

I’ve never liked the super sport lower valence with the rectangular lights. They look great on the GTO’s, but almost an afterthought on the Camaro’s.

I have it all wired up using a stock headlight switch, 95 Firebird headlight motors, and the Firebird headlight module. Doors open with the headlight wire as a trigger.

My question is how to have the hidden headlight door open to reveal the signal, then when done turning, close. Since it’s a pulsed signal I’m thinking that the door will try to open and close instead of staying open while signaling.
Vehicle Tire Car Grille Hood

Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
You'd have to get the power before the flasher relay to send to whatever type of door actuator you're using, so they don't flip open and close with the blinkers. I'm sure it could be done with some proper wiring/relays.
The doors sure will get a workout on a drive through town though

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have LED light strips that are on as DRL ( day time running light ) and have yellow in it also wired to signal that flash .
They work like the new cars . Simple install just stick on a little wiring .Have had many close calls with drivers not paying attention so wanted to be seen .I get a lot of complements

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have LED light strips that are on as DRL ( day time running light ) and have yellow in it also wired to signal that flash .
They work like the new cars . Simple install just stick on a little wiring .Have had many close calls with drivers not paying attention so wanted to be seen .I get a lot of complements
Not to hijack the OP's thread, you can PM me if you like, but I am interested in how you did the DRL's with the RS headlights.
Anytime the lighting is low I always run with at least my parking lights on because people are so used to seeing lights ALL the time. I just want to make see they see me and don't pull in front of me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to hijack the OP's thread, you can PM me if you like, but I am interested in how you did the DRL's with the RS headlights.
Anytime the lighting is low I always run with at least my parking lights on because people are so used to seeing lights ALL the time. I just want to make see they see me and don't pull in front of me.
The LED lamps have the regular 3 prong connector and also two extra blade terminal leads coming off the pigtail. One is for the halo signals and the other is for the DRL. The DRL lead could be wired into the parking lamp circut I suppose, but you would still need to have the doors open. This would be so much easier with a standard grill!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was thinking more like having the doors remain closed and mounting an LED behind the door where the slits are on the 69 lights. Having them come on with the ignition.
They would be totally hidden.

·
Premium Member
'68 396 SS/RS, '97 SS, '02 SS
157 Posts
How about some pictures to demonstrate how they work?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts