Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had an old street dominator low rise single plane intake on my 454 in the 69. Ran pretty well actually but thought a dual plane might pick me a bit, especially on the bottom end since I just run a 3.31 gear, along with an old 270h cam and stock converter.
Bought a new Weiand 8123 Street Warrior as I’ve heard some very good things about running that intake with a mild set up. I milled the plenum divider a bit, mimicking the way Edelbrock did on the RPM and the air gap.
Got it running and was surprised that the street dominator just flat out runs better. That intake is a spread bore dual pattern piece so I run a 3/4 inch tall adapter and Holley 870 street avenger.
I tried a 3310 I have on the dual plane as well with the same results. It’s much more sensitive to timing , carb adjustments etc with dual plane and just doesn’t run as smoothly or pull as hard.
much more difficult to tune. The old street dominator in just a better set up. Really surprised.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I found the same issue with my setup. Although mine is a 327 SB. Had a single plane holley dominator with a 750 holley carb. Ran great, fried the tires and pulled hard. Then I put an edelbrock dual plane on it and felt a decrease right away. Changed the carb to a 750 edelbrock performer carb and it got even worse. I mean bad, motor falls on it's face. Not saying edelbrock sucks, just that my combo likes the holley stuff a lot better. Changing it back asap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it. I put the old street dominator back on. Damn thing runs great. Did richen the carb up slightly due to cold weather and that helped get some color on the plugs. Kept the dual plane in case I come up with a different combo at some point.
I’ve just had success with these old intakes on mild big block combos. Same with the old streetmaster intakes from edelbrock. Great intakes and ALWAYS overlooked.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I believe it. I put the old street dominator back on. Damn thing runs great. Did richen the carb up slightly due to cold weather and that helped get some color on the plugs. Kept the dual plane in case I come up with a different combo at some point.
I’ve just had success with these old intakes on mild big block combos. Same with the old streetmaster intakes from edelbrock. Great intakes and ALWAYS overlooked.
Yeah I went radical with my 427 BB. I put a single 4 bbl tunnel ram on it. Lol. I went with a single thinking it would be more streetable and get a better vacuum signal to the carb. I haven't finished my analysis yet. Car is now sitting in Idaho waiting for me to get moved.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Yeah it scoots okay. It has a T-400 with a 3000 stall. 10" converter. Gears are an issue right now. Want to re-gear the 9" to a 3:50. Right now, temporarily, it has a 3:08 Posi 10 bolt sitting in it. I know if I try and get to crazy with it, I'm going to put the ring gear in someone's windshield. Lol 😖

1 - 6 of 6 Posts