Team Camaro Tech banner

Interior/Courtesy light problem

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  cushjbc 
#1 ·
I know I'm on a Camaro forum but here is my problem..I have a 67 Firebird and while driving it tonight I noticed the interior lights would flash on when I turned to the right. The work normal when you open the doors or use the switch to manually turn them on. When the car is sitting still and you turn to the right they don't flash on. Any ideas??
Original wiring harness..
Any help appreciated before I get pissed and rewire the whole car..

#2 ·
I'm guessing you are talking about the dome light, if so it sounds like one of the doors are flexing in the jam and the door switch is triggering the light on (bad contact or not enough)... Try taping the switches in the doors and take it back out for a ride, if it still does it. Then i would guess its in the light switch mechanism.

#3 ·
Problem solved..so far..While checking the door jamb switched I found the passenger side lower light (Under the glovebox) had come loose from the bracket/when I replaced the glovebox liner last week. Whne I would turn a corner (body roll) the light socket was grounding on the bracket and the lights would come on..
Thanks for the help and maybe this will help someone else.

#4 ·
Mine wouldn't turn off recently and found the exact same solution as you. Socket was picking up ground from the bracket. I think your post will definitely help others. :beers:

Mine is a new courtesy lamp harness. Perhaps the new light sockets don't stay in place in the brackets as well as originals.

#5 ·
Same issue; same passenger side light - I thought for sure it was door switches, JimM steered me away from that. I rigged a thin cable tie around the light sockets of both underdash lights to secure them to the retainers. It can be done without interfering with the bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.