Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 convertible. I took everything out of the interior and have cleaned the interior floor. Before I install the carpet what should I do to the floor? Is there a specific paint that anyone can recommend? Do I need to use some kind of tar and then put the sound deadener before the carpet?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I would use a rust converter where needed, and then apply a rustoleum type paint. Don't use undercoating. Do use the sound deadener.

[This message has been edited by Kyvox (edited 01-01-2002).]

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Undercoating is not meant to be used on a wear surface, and will not hold up well under your carpet.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you used POR15 much?

If I use it on my floor how long will it last?

When brushed on do the brush marks remain in the paint or does it smooth out?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
POR 15 is no substitute for sound deadener. Yes, you need the under carpet sound deadener, and firewall thermal insulation. I'm planning to use 1/2" high quality insulation, against the floor, followed by the sound deadener. Also planning to glue fiberglass insulation (without foil) on the inside of the roof panel.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Based on advice I received from my local restoration shop (they have done cars for years and I really trust them) here is what I did. Took everything out and hit it with a wire brush or anything else to remove any lose surface rust and a good cleaning/degreasing. Then took the POR 15 to any rusty spots. After that, I took two cans of the black spray on bedliner and coated everything. The stuff is real thick so you don't have to do a lot of masking. Pretty much goes right where you aim it and doe not have a lot of overspray. I imagine there are several others ways to do it just as well, but this way is very easy and was recommended to me by the experts. What that does is seal everything up real nice. An oz. of prevention is worth 100 pounds of cure in this area. Do it right, take your time and get everything sealed up real nice. It's just one of the many ways you can make your ride "better than new".

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I have used POR-15 and love the stuff. When I redo my interior, I am planning on coating the entire floor with it and then putting down some Dynamat sound deadener. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i to used spray in bedliner the kind that actually has an activator , it dries bullet hard and i applied it over new floor freshly seam sealed so i know it is all air tight and should never rust i also sprayed the entire pan of the car with the rear end and all the exhuast and brake and fuel lines removed will last a lifetime .

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
I saw a 68 that was sprayed with Line-X bedliner over the entire interior floor after new floors were put in. Nice results. I am having my floors done soon and will go the POR15 route. I've used the products and love them. Clear coated a new gas tank, did the subframe and any other part that came off.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts