Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an idea of how an original Camaro painted dash panel looked?
I was told the factory used 60-70% gloss acrylic lacquer. I saw one at a car show not too long ago, and the dash looked as if it had been clearcoated..very very shiny. One of the judges mentioned that it was too glossy. I'm getting ready to paint my dash top, and interior metal items with acrylic lacquer I bought from Year One..I was curious if I have to rub it out, or do I spray it and leave it "as-is"??

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The lower dash is semi-gloss. I don't know the percentage, but the Dupont code is 88L (in black lacquer).

The upper dash, by the windshield, has a kind of a wrinkle finish on it and is flatter. I haven't found anyone who reproduces this type of paint, but I've had success duplicating it (somewhat) by misting the lacquer on very dry in several coats. This was with a paint gun and not a spray can. I don't know which type that you have.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kyvox..
Dupont lacquer isn't available anymore (at least in my area) but Sherwin-Williams Automotive divison still makes it. They also have a flattening agent to go with it. To get 55-65% gloss, you spray as is...to get 30-45 you go 10 parts lacquer to 1 part flattening agent. I am guessing the dash gets 55-65% gloss...thats a semi-gloss finish from what I was told. I ordered a gallon in black today.
Thanks for the tip on the upper dash..thats what I had in mind..almost a dry-shooting of the paint. I also have spray gun equipment, so I'm thinking I can duplicate the factory finish fairly close.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark..really? I know Year One offers the "correct" matched lacquer for all the interior metal parts...I have some, and it doesn't look 80%...but then again, its hard to see that looking into the can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts