Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It should be obvious, but it's been 4 years since I've had this interior in. Does anyone have any good write ups? I'm trying to see how the edging and the interior quarter panel meet up. I' pretty sure my interior quarter panel needs to shift back about a 1/2". but it's bottoming out on the quarter glass(as seen in the second pic).

Here you can see the top edge buts up against the sail panel, but according to the window crank hole, it needs to shift back more. Maybe I need to pay more attention to the top edge and the door jamb than the window crank hole. Passenger and driver side are the same.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,258 Posts
Well, I just went through this and have less hair because of it. I can tell you the key is to make sure the leading edge of the masonite board under the fabric needs to be no further ahead than the metal contour where the welt pinches on. Your guess of a 1/2" rearward is probably correct.

My guess is you need to push down hard on the upper portion of the panel at the rear so it will tuck in under that sheet metal area. It may also help to rock the bottom of the panel out towards this inside of the car while pushing down on the top so it fits as flush as possible to the sheet metal under it. There is a screw that locates it all in the felt towards the front of the panel as well. When it's in the right spot, the welt will pinch on all the way and the top end of it will line up perfectly with the notch in the rubber seal as viewed from the outside.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Just curious, were the panels and weather stripping original to the car? You shouldn't have to trim if so. I would make sure your weatherstrip is still tight up at the roof and hasn't sagged down at the curve above. Here is a picture of how mine fits:

The stiff metal flashing fits under the welt and it terminates between the welt and the weatherstrip. Maybe yours just needs to be shoved to the side?

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Panels are, not the weatherstripping. Now that I think about it, I vaguely remember the weather stripping being pushed to the side when I pulled it out years ago. So I did that and the panel slides into place. I still need to buy and install the outside weather felt for the quarter glass. I've read where that's a pita...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hi
I am reading your posts...
I also recently went into quarter glass removal, installation of new outer weather felt, cleaning the regulator for adjustment and reinstall everything.
No problem with the old panel fitment, I'll see when I will install new panels..

I had a new pair of felt.
I have on my camaro, the wide top of door chrome moldings.
1968 Camaro Wide Top of Door Chrome Moldings, Coupe Front and Rear Set (camarocentral.com)
The felt is fixed on the chrome molding. The quarter window outer felt attach front with a screw on the car body, it is difficult to access with a screw driver...

On my car, with the new high quality felts installed on the quarter windows, I cannot slide the glass from down position up again freely. I notine the the glass is pushing to the outside when the fully open.
The regulator adjustement does not allow for more free play as it needs to be adjusted in the top roof weathestrip grove.

I ended up removing the new thick felts.
I installed other ones I had, which are thin... It doesn't look nice with the glass closed as there is a gap between the glass and the felt. I feel like it is not good for water and for road noise.

With the thick felt, and a proper glass adjustment when glass is closed, the regulator is like forced when you try to operate the glass up from the bottom position.

I see Shannon installed the thick felt...
What is your experience with the glass pushing to the outside when it fully opens?

Marc

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I didn't necessarily install thick or thin but rather new, repop. I think thin is the punishment of 50 years and thick is brand new and not flattened down from 100 or 1000 window openings. Yes, the quarter windows are difficult to roll up or down but I also have to accept the fact I am using aftermarket glass, felts and regulators. It is very important to center the glass so it is not closer to one felt or rubber than the other.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not sure what you mean with "It is very important to center the glass so it is not closer to one felt or rubber than the other. " : I believe it is important the glass is well centered in correspondance with rear grove, up grove and front window.
When this is done (which I did) I am ok with you that the glass is difficult to roll up and down, mostly from the down position.
Yes, sure, we are playing with 53 year old cars :) and my 2 to 6 year old kids are going to play with the glasses up and down ... :p
Thanks,
Marc

PS Just completed my electricity installation, finilizing the steering colum connector match, tested everything, and happy that everything works!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts