Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while when I turn on the ignition the car doesn't turn over. It happened to me last night and almost left me stranded. When I turn the key my fuel pump comes on the Gen light comes on but nothing happens. I replaced my ignition switch about a year ago and I don't think this is the problem because my fuel pump comes on as does the radio. Two suspect places are 1) the starter 2) the connector that is mounted on the firewall that joins the inside wire harness to the engine side wire harness. Any ideas on how to check this out? Has anybody had a similar problem. Remember this intermitent so it happens randomly. The previous four times it happened I turned the key to the off position and tried again it worked. Last night i tried at least a dozen times and nothing happened and then finally it started. When I got home I shut it off on 3 times without missing a beat :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
That's not uncommon, at least on most of my friends cars. :D IMO it looks like if the voltage to activate the solenoid goes low, 'cause of wear on the internal ignition switch's contacs. I've solved some of them by adding a 40 amp relay to the starter solenoid circuit. Even added one to my car, just in case. Fused 12 volts wire directly from the battery to feed the relay, from the relay to the solenoid, then the ignition switch just need to turn on the relay. Obviously, all this after you check all the connections to make sure the problem isn't caused by other parts. Again, not original but it has worked for many.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nuetral safety switch is fine and checked and I have a new red top gel battery. As for the internals of the switch I'll have a look at my old one and see if I could see any source of problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts