Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is an 82 Camaro, 305, all stock, daily driver. At first start up one morning, I had some sort of crankcase internal explosion, and literally blew the passenger side valve cover off the engine. It also rounded out the other valve cover and now has an excessive oil leak at rear of engine. It happened instantly as soon as the car started. At the time, it started right up, and still runs fine. It just sounded like a gun shot went off.
I can repair all of these things, but I need to know what caused this so I can fix that and it will not happen again. Engine was rebuilt about 40,000 miles back.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks-
Bob J

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Bob, it's pretty rare that you get an internal engine explosion, but it can happen when there is a backfire from the carb or tb and it ignites the gasses in the crankcase causing an explosion. The PCV valve is suppose to prevent this from happening. If it's bad, it will not close in the event of a backfire through the carb or Throttle body causing an explosion in the engine crankcase.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
My car is an 82 Camaro, 305, all stock, daily driver.
If over long period of short runs, petrol can become disolved in the oil,
This is usually noticed after a lot of around town running, then go on a trip...check the oil and the level has dropped due to the volitile petrol has evaporated off.
An engine that is getting a bit worn...(rings, valve guides) would be more prone...yrs since the PVC valve has been serviced, and lengthy times between oil changes.
thu it is very rare to get to levels where enough oxygen/gas accumilates to cause and explosion, it can happen when combined with what C/Dave describes with the PVC above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
look for any evidence of suspious wire's possible remain's of a timer(clock)!! check to see if your life insurance policy has been upgraded lately!!! sleep with 1 eye open untill you have figured this one out!! seriously I have no clue other then somehow a fuel leak or carb related trouble
Thanks for your warnings. I think my wife is innocent on this one, she was standing in front of the car when it went off-I'll keep an eye on her anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob, it's pretty rare that you get an internal engine explosion, but it can happen when there is a backfire from the carb or tb and it ignites the gasses in the crankcase causing an explosion. The PCV valve is suppose to prevent this from happening. If it's bad, it will not close in the event of a backfire through the carb or Throttle body causing an explosion in the engine crankcase.
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll be sure to change the PCV valve when I have the engine out. I'm thinking the oil pan & timming cover are both rounded out like the valve covers.
Thanks-
Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm impressed with the number of responses I've received.
Thanks-
Bob J

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If over long period of short runs, petrol can become disolved in the oil,
This is usually noticed after a lot of around town running, then go on a trip...check the oil and the level has dropped due to the volitile petrol has evaporated off.
An engine that is getting a bit worn...(rings, valve guides) would be more prone...yrs since the PVC valve has been serviced, and lengthy times between oil changes.
thu it is very rare to get to levels where enough oxygen/gas accumilates to cause and explosion, it can happen when combined with what C/Dave describes with the PVC above.
Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.
Bob J

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
internal explosion........ car had Mexican Food for dinner most likely:D

I'm with Steps and others. Had to have a volatile mix, had to have ignition source.

I'd damsure feel all my valve guides for excessive slop.

I had a little V-16 Cat one time wore out a n exhaust valve guide and tried to blow that valve cover in half, and kept running... probly ran a week before somebody spotted it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts