Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having 489 built from a 4.28" bore Gen VI block using an Eagle 4.25" Rotating Assembly... Engine will be internally balanced, so I will use neutral balanced flywheel and HB... For argument's sake, let's assume a "neutral", "zero" or "internal" balance mean the same thing when applied to flywheels and HB's... if I'm wrong please feel free to elaborate.

Question is; I have a perfectly good scattershield, 14" 168T flywheel and a like-new 10.5" McLeod Clutch and Pressure Plate all from my Mark IV 427, which was internally balanced. Any issues using this bell housing, flywheel, clutch and PP setup on my Gen VI Block? FYI, machine shop will be taping hole for clutch linkage pivot ball stud.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Those two don't share a flywheel for sure. Think the clutch won't work either but not sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
The 91 and up BBC's require an external balanced Flywheel - EXCEPT ... the ZZ-Series (ZZ427, ZZ572 ...) ;)
These use the older style, internal balance, Flywheel :thumbsup:

I would recommend you contact Eagle, explain your goal(s) and get their recommendations ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks... My engine builder will be internally balancing the Eagle 4.25 Rotating Assembly... He specifically told me to purchase a zero balance flywheel and HB. The crank sould have arrived today... I'm going to haul my Mark IV flywheel over there and see if it fits.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to Eagle tech and he verified that GM Mark IV and Gen VI crank ends have the same bolt pattern... RAM also verified, as they list the same zero balance flywheel for both early and late generation Big Blocks.

Obviously, you wouldn't bolt a zero balance flywheel to an externally balanced motor, but if you have an internally balanced Gen VI based motor and a good flywheel, clutch and pressure plate from a Mark IV 427, like me, then you should be good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts