Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Camaro that currently has a manual steering box. I would like to install an IROC steering box but I am concerned that it won't fit. My Camaro has a big block with Hooker Super Competition headers (2" primary). The header barely clears the manual steering box right now.

Anyone know if it will fit?

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
it is common to have to ding in header tubes a little bit- which is understandable, given that these cars have only been around for a little over 40 years..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have run the combination before. It worked with the headers I used, can't remember what brand they were anymore though

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the IROC box have about the same dimensions as the original power steering box? I looked online and hooker shows that those headers should work with the original power steering box.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
It is the same physical box.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I swapped out the original 68 PS box with a Lares 972, which is a stock 1st gen quick ratio box with IROC internals. We had to put a small dimple in the Dynomax headers. Otherwise, no issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The other question I have is that since I am converting from manual steering I will need a pump too. Obviously I can use the pump from the IROC Camaros (with longer lines) but what other pumps will work well with the steering box?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I too have a 69 BB with the IROC steering box. I used the original PS pump and hoses. I got the adapter fittings and the rag joint from Lee manufacturing to complete the hook up. You need the fittings to hook up the hoses. I have Flowtech headers that just touch the box. I also installed a 14" leather wrapped re-po Corvette steering wheel with the bow tie horn button to complete the steering and it looks like it came from the factory.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts