Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 1990 iroc z 305 car hard to start if it dont start and i pull the altenator plug it will start easier. when alt plug in car runs rough try to give it gas and it chokes out and stalls, when alt plug is out you are able to give gas and move vehicle put there is no power to move it fast. had alt rebuilt fuel pump reads 40lbs new fuel filter 02 sensor map idle air new tune up with new ignition module. please help thanks

[email protected]

·
Registered
366 Posts
Stop throwing parts at it and check the air flow meter,is the check engine light on with car running? If more than 3 trouble codes in computer disconnect battery for 30 seconds, reconnect and restart car,, if light comes back on trouble shoot those codes first. For car to start properly the cpu looks at coolant temp and intake air temp to deliver proper fuel quantity, if either one is faulty you can experience hard starting. I have a feeling the unplugging the alt. is taking a signal that is shorted to positive (14.5 volts) and dropping it to battery voltage (12.2) and that is allowing the car to be moved but is not likely to be the source of your problem. Some of the sensors operate in the 0-5 volt range so shorting one to 14.5 volts will cause things to go haywire. Also the O2 sensor is not a factor in cold start up as it is not monitored until the car starts to go into closed loop. Good luck.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd 4.10 posi x66 coupe

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I thought the fuel pressure on TPIs was supposed to be 45 psi minimum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts