Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously, My builder told me there is half an inch clearance on both sides in the rear with the 18x10s I gave him. Rims are Boyd JYD's and tires are
B.F.G. KDW 275/35/18. Will a half inch be enough clearance with passengers in the rear?(my kids) The car is getting a complete make-over. I'm lowering it 2". All of the metal on the car will be replaced, except the roof,dash & original radio. 12 bolt Moser in the rear . 383 under the Cowl Hood. R/S hide-aways. It will be the original Garnet Red with Black stripes (z-28 I think) over the hood and rear. It will also have SS badges,(but I promise I'll never mis-represent it as one.) I'll post pics. Its due for completion June 1st.

Thanks Guys,
Great site, keep up the good work & I'll see some of you Chicago/Indiana/Michigan guys at the shows this summer.
Mike:beers:

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
IMO you're going to scrape... I had 275/40-17's on mine on 9.5's with 5.5" backspacing on drum brakes. They rubbed on the inside with just me in the car. Your tires are a tenth wider in section width on a 9.5" wheel, that 10" is going to make it even closer. What back spacing are your wheels? maybe with 5.5" bs and a rolled fender lip but you really are leaving no clearence for body flex. I think your be scaring your tires on both the inside and outside with passangers in your car...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch, dont tell me that. any other opinions that will help me sleep BETTER.
thanks for the info though. I guess my wife & kids will have to stay home. She has no interest, but my 11 yr old son will be riding shotgun(maybe back seat-I don't have the car to put up the fight yet) Mike

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
Not wanting to bum you out Mike, I know guys are running 275/40-17's on coupes and claim no rubbing on 9.5" wheels w/5.5" bs. Your 18's are only a tenth inch wider in section width so maybe if your wheels back spacing is right you'll be ok with just light rubbing... I just know not many doing it pack a family in the car though very often.

I replaced the 275's with 255/45's with an inch less section width and added rear disc's and I have about 1" on the inside. As you can see I still get some slight rubbing...

Now my car's a rag top so it's not as ridged as a coupe and I have a 16 yr old in the back seat and my wife in the passanger seat. Many times I have 4 adults and a full trunk cruising as well. With a 2" drop in front and a 1 1/2" in back I have to be careful in some driveways and have to go into them at an angle. That's when the rubbing takes place. I don't get any when cornering but then again I'm always alone when I push it at all... I'm hoping the subframe connectors help some when I get them.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
I just bought a set of 17x9.5, 275/40 with 5.5 backspacing. The drivers side ended up 3/4 from the inner well and drivers 1/2 inch. My rear is over to one side a little. Anyway the pass side is perfect with no rubbing, but the drivers I needed a 1/4 spacer so it didn't rub. Now bothe are perfect from the inner fender and outter lip.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mike
I have a 69 vert, Bought 275/60/15's and new 15x8's w/4 3/4 backspacing. This was after test fitting with 4 1/2 BS. The bodys came from the factory with varing wheelwell widths my passenger side is 1" wider than the drivers, not unusual. After mounting and running this setup I went with 255's and sold the 275's.I had 5/8's +CLEARANCE and rubbing on the inside when turning into driveways etc . I did not want to risk tire failure and a messed up car for a little wider tire. I have weldin subframe conn.,polygraphite bushing and caltrac bars and 1" lowering blocks making for a tight suspension and very little body roll compared to a stock susp. If you go wide just keep track of how much rubbing is going on.. good luck! Post some pics for us!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts