Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a local 69 rs/ss but have some doubts if it is a real rs/ss or possibally a clone from an rs.Any ideas.
Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think Blk69 didn't read your post very well. The X33 & X77, 4-spd only and 4-leaf rear springs are all standard equipment for a '69 Z/28 not a SS! Look for power front disc brakes, 5-leaf rear springs and a small square metal plate welded on the side of the frame rail by looking in the drivers side wheel well opening. If you let us know if it is a small block or big block we can give you much more to look for.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

1969 SS: Matching # 350/300, M20 4-spd, 3.55 12-bolt posi, Daytona Yellow, Black Houndstooth, Factory Gauges, Spoilers, etc.

'85 Z/28, Rare Factory Yellow, 355 TPI w/ Crane Compu-Cam 2040, Crane adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 22# Injectors, TPIS Airfoil, K&N filters, Hypertech ThermoMaster Stage 2 Chip for '85 Vette, 160 Degree Thermostat, DynoMax Cat Back Exhaust, Rebuilt/Updated 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.23 posi rearend.

69 SS #'s Matching 396, TH400, Cortez Silver, Black Houndstooth, Gauges, Remote Mirror, etc.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Norwood cars after Dec,68 had X codes.
If it is RS/SS small block it would be X11. RS/SS big block would be X22. Note that X11 does not necessarily mean RS, or RS/SS. It is probably the most common X code, and could be any 6 cyl or 8 cyl, (except B/B) which had "Style Trim Group" esentially, al little extra exterior brightwork. However, since the style trim was part of RS, all RS were X11, X22, or X33.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
To DWcamaro69,
What is the welded platr you are referring to, part of the dual exhaust? If so, is it not like the right side, where there was a plate behind the rail, which was tapped to accept the bolt. Thanks for your response...always glad to learn about the "little" things to look for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it is a real SS then it would be either a X-11, X-22, X-55, X-66. The X-11 is style trim car with SS-350, X-22 means SS-396 with style trim, X-55 means SS-350, rear fender louvers, black body sills except colors 51,57,61,67. Let us know if the car has an X-code if it does tell us what code it has!

[This message has been edited by Abercrombie53347 (edited 06-15-2001).]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Unreal, Yes, the plate is there if the car had dual exhaust. It was welded on the side of the rear frame rail on the left (drivers) side just back a little from the middle or top highest point of the frame rail that is visable looking in the wheel opening. Buy Jerry McNiesh's "The Definitive 1969 Z/28 Book". It has a good picture and explaination. This is a great thing to look for when identifing real SS or Z/28's.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am so sorry. I thought you were looking for a real Z-28. The guys are correct. A 69 SS/RS if X code avalable would be X-11 or X-22. Power front disk brakes were standard on all SS cars. Dual exaust was not a SS option only. If the production date is past the mid of feb 69, then the LM1 engin was no longer offered. The LM1 350 small block shared the dual fuel lines as the SS L48. IF your build date is past this date, the dual fuel lines will confirm an SS.

I was assuming a Small block. If you have a X-22 trim code, it is most definalty a SS big block car. However it dose not have to be a RS. I would suggest looking at the rear back up light. If the cut outs below the bumper are not real crisp, I would be conserned that it was not an orginal RS. Also if the rear tail light have the center light hole knocked out they definatly were not out of a RS car. It is possible that they could have been installed in a RS car, but it is more likely someone just converted a not RS car to a RS clone.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
X11 "could" be SS 350, but not necessarily. It just means Style Trim Group. Could be any plain jane or SS or RS/SS, with the Style trim.

·
Registered
18 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 69 nut:
I am looking at buying a local 69 rs/ss but have some doubts if it is a real rs/ss or possibally a clone from an rs.Any ideas.
Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a REAL 69 rs/ss 396, 375hp car. It does NOT have an X code as it was built in early 69 at the Los Angeles plant. L.A. built cars, to my knowledge, did not have an X code. As you read, a true rs/ss has to have 5 leaf rear springs, plate welded to frame rail on drivers side, front disc brakes with brake line having a distribution block on the right hand side of the frame rail. Does not have to have a 4 speed. Before searching for an X code, find out where and when it was built.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts