Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling on the wheel experts. I had 245/60/15 on the back of my 67. I put some 295/50/15 It doesn't seem as snappy as it did before? Can this be or is it in my head? I thought there was only about a 1/4" difference in the total outside diameter. I didn't think it would make any difference.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
A: it all in your head. It's taking a bunch more throttle to lose grip now, and you are interpreting that as "less snappy"

B: it's very real. Those big tires weigh a ton, it's like you replaced a 20 pound flywheel with a forty, takes more to git em moving.

I dunno which is right, probably A, but you can pick the one you like.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Jim is correct. You have more rotating mass at the back now. Especially if your 295/50/15's are bias ply tires.

When tires were less advanced you always got much better dry traction with wider tires, but the reverse was true in rain & snow. The skinnier tires giave you better wet traction. Case in point: The 1988 & 1989 IROC-Z. In winter guys would put on P215/65/R15 but in summer it was P245/50/R16. Both tire sizes were options on these cars and therefore switching from one to another during a particular season was common.

Bias ply to radial will make a difference. Radials also have less rolling resistance which is one reason auto manufacturer's switched to radials in the 1970's. Oh yea that reason? Better gas mileage. There were other reasons as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts