Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a numbers-matching '68 327/275 PG standard coupe. It has the wheel, belt reveal and rocker chrome moldings. The last owners painted the car navy blue, the interior black and installed an interior kit. The original interior was standard with deluxe steering wheel, bright pedals and dash trim.

It is also a column-shift and was originally Ash Gold/IvyGold. My understanding is that very few Gold cars were painted and not many column-shifts were built.

The car is in very good shape. There is light rust and pitted chrome. We've rebuilt the transmission, added front disc brakes, rebuilt the front end and rebuilt the carburetor. It appears we are the first ones to put any work into this car. So it's fairly un-messed around with. Although, the RR quarter panel looks to have been replaced (cleanly).

The car was purchased by a lady in Fresno. When she passed away it went to her grandson. I think that's where the rust came in. It sat out with a broken window. He sold it to the people we bought it from. Who gave it a hasty paint job. At least it looks good driving down the road...

Anyway, enough back history. My question then is... is this car worth the effort of taking it back to feasibly original condition? I'm talking frame-down/rotisserie/NOS parts, etc.

Also, I don't necessarily plan to show the car. I want to drive it. I've wanted a 68 Camaro for 20 years, I want to enjoy it. But, I'm also enjoying restoring it...

Any advice is appreciated,
Jane:)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I guess depending on what you paid and what you want to end up with. If the interior is good , but dlx. and you like it and plan to keep it, then leave it. Were it out, then make a decision. Sure a care is worth more totally original but it could cost more to get it there than its worth. Do comparable's estimate what you would have in it that way (stock) against what they are selling for and there is your answer. The only thing you cant replace is the drive train Engine Trans rear, keep those together! I too waited 20 yrs to buy mine, It was hard to find selfish money. Enjoy
BTW living in cal. you dont know what rust is HeHe !

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
My 2 cents. A plain column shift car that you plan to enjoy and drive is not worth a frame-off resto using NOS parts. You are talking 40-50k to restore a car these days the way you are talking about. It will be so nice in the end you'll be afraid to drive it. In addition, the cost to restore will far outwhiegh the value of the car. Spend the money for a nice paint and body guy that will make the car look great but don't worry about the NOS parts. Most of the aftermarket stuff will work and looks fine to 99% of the people that will ever look at it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We paid $10,000 for it. I truly don't want to put $50,000 into it, because your right Gregg I'd be afraid to drive it. Already I'm afraid someone is going to hurt my baby. And who knows if I would every sell it. It's just I want to do what's best for the car. If that makes sense.

BlueSS, I've seen many a picture of rust. I feel very fortunate that this car lived its life in a very dry, hot area. I don't know how people in the North and South do it.

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
If you dont have any rust issues, it isnt going to cost $40-$50K to restore. If you do a rotisserie resto, then expect to pay that much or more.

It is definately worth restoring.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hi Jane..
I have a standard '68'vert, 327/PG, etc..
I am doing a complete rebuild, but not to orig standards, (still around 40K).
I'm using the original design as a guideline, but I'm building this car for me, not to sell.
..and I do expect it to change color or engines within the next 40 years, nothing is in stone.
I wanted a car that handles, accelerates and stops like today's Camaro should.
..but I love the style of a '68

There is a reason why only a few Gold column shift cars were built.
..because not very many people ordered them.
Unless its a COPO, its a simple supply and demand thing.

"...is this car worth the effort of taking it back to feasibly original condition? I'm talking frame-down/rotisserie/NOS parts, etc."
No, you could spend all that money, but then you'd have a car that not many people would have ordered new.
I'm sure many people love that color and style, but are you building this car to sell to a limited group of people?

If you want to keep it, build it for yourself.
If you were to buy a brand new '68 Camaro, what would you order it with..
..and you have 39 years of upgrades to consider.

That's the car you should build..
The one that will fit your budget, and you'll enjoy the most.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Jane, I have been restoring a 68SS for over 4 years. Because the car has the original engine and is a true L-78 I thought it would be worth it to put the car back as close to original as possible. After several years of searching locally I did find the transmission but had to buy a correct 12 bolt from Canada. I have searched here, other sites, everyday on ebay, swap meets, etc. for NOS parts and all I can say is if I were starting this project today as you are and know what I know about the rising prices in these parts, I would not do it. If I were you and I had a car I really like and wanted to drive, I would buy good quality reproduction parts, get the drive train and suspension in top condition, paint it back to the Gold if you like (if I were going to paint it, I would go back original) and drive it and enjoy it. When I got this car, all I intended to do was paint the car and drive it to cruise-ins. Over 4 years later, I still don't have the engine back in the car and do not have it painted yet. This will probably be the last numbers matching, original as possible, resto I do unless I stumble upon a rare muscle car that would be worth a mint when finished. Ive had a 327/275 PG car and I loved it. Makes a great driver and crusier! JMO Good luck with your 68, Kevin

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like you are going to drive it often (which is a good thing) so don't break your pocketbook making it perfect because most of the "perfect" 1st gens are not driven a whole lot (which is sad). Since you're in sunny CA. there will be plenty of days to enjoy your car! How about some pics?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Jane,
My car is a "Plain Jane coupe" car. '69, garnet red 307/TH350 column shifter. There is NO WAY I was going to spend any money rebuilding a 307.lol
i built up a 327 and rebuilt the 327, over the years, I completely rebuilt a 10 bolt posi rear, built up a stout 406, and now just swapped over to a Tremec TKO 5 speed stick! It just seems to keep getting funner to drive now ;) I resprayed the car garnet red, but added a cowl hood and Z stripes and spoilers. I know it is not a Z and everyone else knows it's not a Z, but it looks pretty good and I sure do enjoy it!
My advice would be to weigh the important factors: amount of money you are willing to to put into the carl, what upgrades you want to do (or keep it stockish), and are you wanting to fix it up for yourself to keep or to sell in the next 5-10 years? If you want to keep it for yourself, then start making those decisions and the rest will fall into place ;) Good luck on your car and your decisions!
Dano:beers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry guys, I haven't checked on this thread in a while. I appreciate all your input. I think in the long run I will go back to original with a judicial mix of OER and NOS. I've purchased a set of NOS rear wheel moldings at more than I wanted to spend. But I know they will only get more expensive and the repros fit like a bad suit.

Right now we're replacing the rubber bushings in the rear. So, I'm not driving the car right now and she's not ready for her close-up. When all four wheels are on the ground again, I'll take pics and post them. I promise.

Kevin, I hope you get your car driving soon. I know the feeling. The tranny had been out of mine for 2 years. Life is just to dam-ed busy.

·
Registered
300 Posts
chevygrrl, that is a great looking car!! Especially for only $10K. Get out and enjoy it as is. Or paint it your ash gold, if you like. The gold color is just unusual enough to make it stand out from all the other blue and red cars. I drive a plain 68 car too. As JimM or anyone else that went on the Run to the Rockies tour last summer can attest it is definately NO show car. Also, my house is a mile back a gravel road so the car is perpetually dusty. But it still gets the thumbs up or smiles or just plain stares driving around. I guess what I'm trying to say is you don't have to spend a ton of money to have a ride that makes you feel good driving it. If it were my car, I'd take it back to the original gold / gold int. and drive the wheels off it. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I agree with many others. Your car looks great as is. I would focus on mechanical then replacing some of the pitted or scratched stuff that annoys you most. I would let the current paint take some wear and tear, enjoy it now, then paint it in sometime in the future.

From your interior pics it looks as if the new seat covers might have gone over the old foam. If so, consider getting new foam, it makes all the difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dan, I'm pretty sure I feel a spring or two in my butt when I'm driving. The question is, is replacing the cushions and re-covering them more of a pain in the butt than the spring?

I've seen the cushions, hog rings and tools in Classic Ind. Is it a difficult task? I definitely planned on replacing the cushions when we did the Ivy Gold interior along with the paint job. But that could be a few years away.

We are pretty much doing as you suggest - taking care of the mechanical first. Next winter we hope to rebuild the engine. I've been polishing chrome for days. When we got the car I thought we'd have to replace alot of it. A little determination and chrome polish and even the rocker panel moldings are gleaming. There are pieces that need to be rechromed or replaced. I like your idea of doing that gradually.

John, it does make you feel good when people are happy looking at your car doesn't it? I was once stopped at a light and a saw a guy across the street call his friend out of their office just to look at my car! They gave me two thumbs up. I was like, Yeah it's mine. I love my car. :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
No, it isn't difficult if using new seat covers. I don't see the original ones fitting over new seat foam since they seemed so stiff, but I didn't try. The hardest part is slipping the vinyl over the foam. As I remember, silicone spray on the foam reduces the friction a whole lot and makes it a less of a workout.

Might be worthwhile evaluating/replacing the entire set of seat springs. Its common to have at least the bottom side springs be broken.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts