Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or just not recommended? i'm rewiring my trunk mounted battery setup. previous owner used 4 ga. pos. wire straight from battery to starter and 4 ga. neg. to bumper bolt in trunk. i've had starting issues so i'm switching to 1/0 wire. i mounted the furd remote solenoid on the pass. side inner fender but from what i'm reading that is not a good idea cause you still have a hot wire runnin' the length of the car. should i mount my solenoid in the trunk? if so where do you guys mount em? see pics. as always thx bros!:beers:

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
Re: is my setup dangerous?

Yes, present set-up has a 'live' wire/cable from the trunk.
Anyway you do it, you will have a live wire, because the battery needs charging, so you're going to run another 4 GA wire to the trunk anyway.
In my previously owned '68, I used 4/0 cable from the battery and rollbar plate in the trunk and still had loss of 2.5 volts during cranking, even with the mech VR cranked up in electrical voltage making up for the added length.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts

or just not recommended? i'm rewiring my trunk mounted battery setup. previous owner used 4 ga. pos. wire straight from battery to starter and 4 ga. neg. to bumper bolt in trunk. i've had starting issues so i'm switching to 1/0 wire. i mounted the furd remote solenoid on the pass. side inner fender but from what i'm reading that is not a good idea cause you still have a hot wire runnin' the length of the car. should i mount my solenoid in the trunk? if so where do you guys mount em? see pics. as always thx bros!:beers:
Is there a reason for the battery to be in the trunk?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi Jake,
you're right- i'm gonna need a hot wire runnin' back to bat. anyway for alt/pwr etc. my wiring setup now was easy/clean to run. also, don;t mean to sound dumb, but what is mech vr?

·
Retired
26,695 Posts

Hi Jake,
you're right- i'm gonna need a hot wire runnin' back to bat. anyway for alt/pwr etc. my wiring setup now was easy/clean to run. also, don;t mean to sound dumb, but what is mech vr?
VR = Voltage Regulator

Just courious what engine you have under the hood with the air intake like that?

·
Premium Member
732 Posts

I trust you will be adding an inline fuse?

·
Registered
7,625 Posts

4 ga. neg. to bumper bolt in trunk. i've had starting issues so i'm switching to 1/0 wire.
The body alone is not a good ground source, the block is. A dedicated 1/0 to the block, or a 1/0 to body and 1/0 from body to block. Pos cable is only as good as the ground and should be the same size. Your starter could also be on it's way out if you have been abusing it by the present system. A real alternator shop can check it and rebuild it.

How well is the motor cooling with the current cooling setup?

·
Registered
10,475 Posts

Just put a circuit breaker in line, that way if it does short, the power will be cut off at/near the battery. If you put the solenoid in the trunk (like I did) then you only have a hot battery cable when starting the car. You will still have a hot wire from the alternator back to the trunk though when the car is running.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts

I would just move the remote solenoid to the trunk and run the same configuration that it looks like you already have, just using bigger wires.

i.e. run an 8awg from the alternator to one post of the solenoid and a 1/0 from that same solenoid post to the battery. On the other solenoid post run a 1/0 to the s terminal starter. Run a 12 awg from the original s wire to the s terminal on the solenoid. That way you only have a single 8 awg running live through the car except when cranking.

What type of body mounts are you using, and do you have subframe connectors? If so, you should be able to ground a 1/0 from the battery to the bumper bolt in the trunk that attaches to the rear frame rails. Then run another 1/0 from the engine block to the subframe up front. That is essentially the setup I'm running with no issues.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Scott-
i was thinkin' about using a 1/0 ground from bat. to bumper bolt and existing 4 ga. (old pos. wire) from bumper bolt to block. think that would work? motor cooling works fine (dual electric fans)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Royce-
would you happen to have a pic/link of an inline circuit breaker? would it be placed by bat, right? you have a pic of your solenoid in trunk setup?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

Just throwing out ideas here e. funk, but why the air intake with mass airflow sensor/ plenum in the corner? For cooler intake air? There is no fresh air in that closed off radiator support area, unless you made a hole...There are low profile intakes that operate just fine, have you ruled those out?

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts

As said, the ground circuit should be from the engine block to the battery with a dedicated cable, min same size as positive cable, because there is alot of resistance between powder coated/painted parts through the body connections - there are no bare metal to metal contact anywhere.
Cable size can be 4/0 gauge, welding cable. Use copper terminals and solder the terminals to the wire/cable - rent/borrow a solder pot, use 63/37 rosin solder, and dip the cable into the pot to tin the cable. Then use Big Bertha, an 80 watt or larger soldering iron with a 1/2 inch wide flat tip, and solder the terminal to the tinned cable, let cool, then slide over shrink tubing to insulate the ends.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

i was gonna use the delwire.net soldering process (with the little slugs you melt) i saw a video on youtube that i got a link from this awesome site. i'm gonna post a pic later of my engine compartment and maybe you guys can give me advice if mounting the bat. in the original location is feasible and i can bypass the whole bat. in trunk nonsense!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts