Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am kind of a newbie to all this. Anyway I need to remove my headers to change my spark plugs and I was just wondering if its a big job to take the headers out. Or would I be better off taking it to someone or trying to find the work around tools to get them out without having to unbolt the headers.

Thanks in advance,
Lance 67SS350 (clone) http://www.geocities.com/arkansasclassicfbody

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Are you working on a small or big block? What year?

I don't have to remove my headers to change out the plugs. It's a bit tricky, but be creative with the tools you have. The toughest ones on my '69 require spark plug socket with a 6-sided end (like a nut), and I use my box end wrench to turn it (I believe for cylinder 6). Take your time.

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my NEW webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/

·
Registered
650 Posts
It can be a bit of a pain, and be prepared to learn a few new 4 letter words too, heh. Try getting your tools on all the bolts first just to see how easy they are accessed, and make your judgement from there. I had hex bolts on my last set of headers, and it was easy to get that 90 degree hex key in there.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You should not have to pull the headers but you might have to get a little creative on a plug or 2. Try a shortie or regular open end wrench to break them loose, then use a short (6 - 12") section of rubber gas hose. Push it on the plug and you can fairly easily screw them out (and back in).

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Hey Funck, I change my number 5 plug with a box end wrench from underneath the car.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Registered
980 Posts
I take a hammer and a wrench (or long screwdriver) to each one of my plugs before I take them out. This way, the whole top part of the plug breaks off, and I can take out the plug with either a wrench, short socket, or almost anything.

Just give each one a little wack, and you'll be surprised how easily they break off.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
To remove your headers on a small block a little trick I used back in 69 was to unbolt the bolt that goes through the motor mount and slightly jack the motor up on the drivers side. This created lots of room. Before the days of really good high temp paints I used to paint them about once a month. As far as plugs go there was always one that took an open end 13/16 wrench from below. I used Heddman headers.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like with all the tips here I wont have to pull the headers after all. To the guy that asked my 67 has a 350 small block. If there are any Central Arkasas Classic F-Body owners here I need to hear from you. Trying to put a new club together. I'll start a new thread. Thanks again, Lance (67ss350)
http://www.geocities.com/arkansasclassicfbody

·
Registered
980 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BreathWeapon:
Interesting... You still gotta get the new ones back in though, and my educated guess is that you don't really want to bust the new plugs off, right?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I wouldn't reccommend breaking off the new ones, but it makes plug removal simple, and allows me to save the 4-letter words for installation only.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well if you have to remove the headers this may help. I bought a set of Hooker Super Comp headers for my 68. Being a little big headed and thinking the job should be pretty simple I just went straight to work on installing them. yea I know..wondering what this has to do with taking them off...
Anyway, I installed one header from the top and had no problems, but when I tried the other it would not go in from the top.
So I started trying to get it in from the bottom. This seemed like it would work so I kept lifting the car up a couple of inches and trying again. After I got it about 2 and half feet in the air it slid right in. After the job was complete I picked up the instructions and the very first sentence in bold type was " before installation raise car at least 2 foot of the ground." Boy the time I could have saved. But anyway if you do have to take them off this might be something to think about.

Dustynn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.