Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will 69 seats take 68 seat buns and covers?

I have a 68 convert that I bought with 69 seats in it. I want the early 68 model low back seats so I assume I can just re-upholster the 69 frames with 68 gear. is this going to fit correctly and if so can I just remove the escutcheons for the headrests and not cut the seat cover to accept a headrest post? on another note is their a possibility that the car was actually ordered late in 68 with a set of 69's or is that a rather unlikely thing for a dealer to have done?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Re: will 69 seats take 68 seat buns and covers?

I know that when you look up the seat frames in the Classic Industries catalog they list 67 & 68 as being the same part number but 69 is different. Also I don't believe the factory would ever put 69 seats in a 68 even if the 68 was built on the very last day of production. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

I think the front seat seat-backs are the same dimensionally and the only real difference is the headrest and the upholstery. I also thought all the seat back panels were physically interchangeable. If true, it would lend credence to the first supposition.

·
Registered
317 Posts

Structurally - they are the same seat. The difference comes in with the spring sections. However - for instance, our 1969 Deluxe Foam will fit on a 1968 bucket frame.

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

I always though the '69 seats had the foam integrated with the springs. Learn something new every day. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,632 Posts

I have a 68 convert that I bought with 69 seats in it. I want the early 68 model low back seats so I assume I can just re-upholster the 69 frames with 68 gear. is this going to fit correctly and if so can I just remove the escutcheons for the headrests and not cut the seat cover to accept a headrest post? on another note is their a possibility that the car was actually ordered late in 68 with a set of 69's or is that a rather unlikely thing for a dealer to have done?
What makes you say they're 69 seats ? If you didn't know, head restraints were optional (RPO A52) for 68, although semi-rare (2,234 cars sold).

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont ask me why I have a set of 69 front seats in a 68 vert but I do. Can I re upholester the 69 frames with 68 seat buns and vinyl? (Obviously I would need to remove the headrest assembly if so.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

What makes you say they're 69 seats ? If you didn't know, head restraints were optional (RPO A52) for 68, although semi-rare (2,234 cars sold).
Only responding a year later but I pulled the headrest and checked them out to be 69 seats for sure. not to mention the obvious things like the piping patterns in the seat covers.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts

Only responding a year later but I pulled the headrest and checked them out to be 69 seats for sure. not to mention the obvious things like the piping patterns in the seat covers.
Hey better late then never. You can use either years foam and covers if you want a true 68 look. As Waylon said their sport, and regular deluxe and stand foams will fit on either years frame.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
answer in the older thread but yes you can. Leave the headrest as is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts