Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired
26,947 Posts
Gotta give up believing everything you read...

GM owns the following;
Holden
Opel
Saab
Vauxhall
Fiat
Subaru
Isuzu
Suzuki
as well as all the domestic names you already know...

Ford owns the following;
Volvo
Land Rover
Jaguar
Mazda
Aston Martin
and also the domestics Lincon and Mercury

Chrysler owns the following;
Mercedes
Maybach
C Smart
Sentar
Freightliner
Sterling Trucks
Western Star Trucks
Fuso (Mitsubishi)
as well as domestics Dodge and Jeep

See where I'm going? Toyota and Nissan build their cars and trucks here in the US but are not American companies. The big three have more going on abroad than they do here but are American...

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
actually, Chrysler is owned by Daimler, which makes it a German car company. regardless of what the official press releases may have said at the time of the merger, it was not a "merger of equals". why do you think they are suddenly coming out with all the cool RWD cars with basic functional designs?
and i KNEW there was a reason i liked Subaru- and if i go buy a WRX, i won't feel guilty about it.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
GM represents about 20% of auto sales worldwide.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I thought I was Mr. Doom and Gloom....but I bow to you ;)

Go wrench on something, or do a burnout in front of the house. It always makes me feel better :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think the BIG players in the Global Auto Business (other than the American Companies) are Toyota, Honda, Nissan, VW and Daimler... which are NOT owned by GM or Ford. Some of subsideraries that are owned by GM and Ford in my opinion will be liabilities (Fiat, Jaguar...etc) and not assets... which typically are liquidated when the balance sheets starts to look goofy for short-term influxes of cash.

My guess is when Americans get "tired" of driving in SUVs and Trucks and starts buying City Practical vehicles (Cars)... GM, Ford and Chrysler are going to fall deeper in the hole.

As the Global Economy grows... and the US Economy continues to shrink (as manufacturing moves to China) the loyal American Car buyers (Blue Collar workers) will not be able to afford to purchace "NEW" GM or Ford products.

I hope I'm wrong... but that's how I see the reality of the market.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Roy, I mostly agree with all of that. Unfortunately, the times are changing in America.Probably the price of gas will make folks lean towards cars in lieu of SUV's. (I'll be reduced to a unicycle and a beanie here pretty soon :D ) Anyway, fuel cell technology, Government regulations on autos, etc. etc. etc. Seems a little bleak, but not quite the "Chicken Little" complex that plagues Garfield. Don't worry Gar, it's not quite as bad as they make it sound ;)

Dano

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I didn't think things were actually as bad as that report said

1 - 8 of 8 Posts