Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded to 4 wheel power disc brakes on my 69 camaro. I have a proportioning valve that came with the kit but it keeps tripping every time I push on the pedal and it won't let fluid get to the back brakes. I removed the valve inside of it (which made it a junction block) and I was able to get fluid to the back because now the dual master cylinder feeds both the front and back at the same time. I don't want to leave it this way because if I have a brake failure I'll loose all my brakes. How can I eliminate the proportioning valve and still have a safe system? Any help will be greatly appreciated since the Hot Rod Power Tour is coming soon and I have to be ready, going for the long hauler this year first timmer. Thanks

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Take a good picture of your master cylinder and valve setup so we know exactly what you're referring to. Post it here so we can make sure we're talking about a proportioning valve vs the check valve.

·
Retired
26,615 Posts
On a disc/disc setup typically a prop valve of some sort to reduce pressure to the rear brakes allowing the fronts to lock first is required. It's about finding a balance and one of the reasons to put a smaller rotor and caliper in the back. Using an adjustible prop valve allows you to really dial your braking compared to a fixed valve.

Pic's of what you have would really be a good idea as Jeff suggests...

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
For front to rear bais you can use a dial type valve and do the same thing.

SUM-G3905 Summit Brake Proportioning Valves
Brake Proportioning Valve, Knob Adjustment, 1/ 8 in. NPT, Single Inlet/ Outlet, Aluminum, Natural, Each
Today$33.95

1 - 4 of 4 Posts