- [EDIT] brand new quality top & top parts that allegedly cost $1K
- recent engine with some aftermarket performance parts
- no significant frame or body rust according to seller
- p/s and p/b (front disc)
- new exhaust
- [EDIT] solid fenders, floors, and frame rails according to seller

Bad:
- [EDIT] Originally a 6-cylinder
- driver quality paint job (cowl hood added after paint job and doesn't perfectly match)
- comes with 15x7 ralley wheels (extra $1K for AR TT IIs)
- missing passenger interior door pull
- apparently has a late-70's 350 (according to seller)
- needs window felts/channels
- has 68 console (looks OK, just wrong year part)
- [EDIT] being sold by a dealer (would prefer it be an individual)

I like it and it's relatively close to me. Would like your thoughts and opinions. Thx!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...EWA:PIC&viewitem=&item=180092313036&rd=1&rd=1

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Its tough to say in my opinion exactly what its worth from those pics. There are no close up pics of the critical areas. No underside shots. Some of the pics seem to show that its pretty rough around the edges so to speak. If those suspsicions are correct its not worth what hes asking. Especially being a 6 banger originally. Plus its a dealer so theres no way its worth what hes asking IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Feedback is a little shaky................there is a very nice 6 banger vert in the classifieds for 17K.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Feedback is a little shaky................there is a very nice 6 banger vert in the classifieds for 17K.
Yes, but I want a manual trans and a V8 (regardless of the original engine). For me, that car would require thousands in upgrades (V8, manual trans, hood, paint job, tires/wheels, etc....).

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
3forme is right, feedback is a little shakey, but typical for a used car dealer.
Feedback number isn't bad, but read some of the withdrawn and nuetrals to get a better idea.
If you are local, it is worth going to see the car in person and have a mechanic check it out if you still like it after seeing it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TTT - See edits in original post.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
Definately need to see it in person, no good close ups of the critical areas.
For a comparison, after looking for a 67-68 convert for a couple months, my buddy stepped up and paid what I figure is reasonable but top dollar for a 67 RS smallblock vert. It's basically 100% original, paint is not good, but it's old and you can see all the warts, and there are very few. only some light rust at rear quarters, and thats it rust wise, it's amazingly solid for a NW ragtop. All rs equip. intact and functional, factory 327 and M20 4 speed, deluxe interior (really only needs seat covers, rest is good but dirty), pretty new power top, power steering, powewr brakes, factory disc brakes, and (factory?) 14" ralleys. It actually looks a bit rough, but it's amazing how solid and complete it is, it really drives nice in fact. He paid 19K for it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TTT! Secured a price of $18K. Per seller and some pics, subframes and floors and trunk are solid.

More good:
- Exhaust is brand new 2.5" aluminized steel with Flowmasters
- Tires are new but different sizes on Ft & Rr (decent driver tires until I get 17x8 wheels)
- Will include pair of chrome rad support bars (R side currently missing)
- Heads are era correct, 1.71/1.50 values (OK, not great)

This is the least expensive first gen Camaro vert I can find with a V8. Prices seem to be climing now that Spring is imminent.

Is this a good or fair price? I'm a real "deal" guy and don't want to overpay. Thx!!

·
Registered
551 Posts
congrats and welcome to the vert club - luv to see some pics, sounds like you got a deal

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
I would not "stress" about "overpaying" for a first gen. vert., I overpayed for both of mine however just let a "little time" pass and you will be ok, the value will catch back up with it with no problem.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Good for you, it seemed more than reasonable to me. My brother has been looking for a solid project 67 ragtop for over a year. We finally found a solid 6cyl that was in pieces for 10K that fit his budget. His intention is to make it a SB driver to enjoy. While looking we found it next to impossible to find anything solid and running for under 20K. I think you did well :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think 19k sounds fair for what was in the pictures. I bought a '68 vert about 16 months ago for $4k. It was a 6banger as well. It is pretty much a roller that needs a rocker and floor replaced. I've done a budget and I'll have about $20k in parts into the car before I'll ever be able to drive it. But I wanted a project car.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It sounds like you paid a fair price for the car. Prices are really a 'moving target' right now anyway, since the cars are in high demand. I paid too much for my '67 back in 1999, but it's worth more than double what I paid for it now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
18K seems like a decent price and spring is around the corner.I paid $32K cdn for mine and have put another grand into it other than that it needs nothing .Its a older ground up resto and similar cars sell for around $40K so I am allready going up in value

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well sh$%! Drove up to see the car and it's definitely not what I expected or want. The search is on again...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts