Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an engine off EBay that is supposed to be a 3963512 casting #.

I can make out 39?3512 with a sideways P below.

The 512 is very clear. Are there any other GM big block engines ending in 512???? :confused:

I searched like crazy on the web, but could not find any. The third digit in is a mess. I gently scraped some of the paint off, but I still have no idea what number it is.

Here is a picture:

To me, the third digit kind of looks like a 3.

Another pic:

This is a pic of the area above the casting number:

And I think the date code is supposed to be here, but I don't see it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Check passenger side of block for date code. Early ones were there. Or clear the area above the GM 4. It looks like there might be a date code there. Is there anything stamped on the front pad on the passenger side deck of the block?

·
3,408 Posts
Mortec shows the following:

3963512....427.......69......2 or 4 bolt
3963512....454.......70-76...2 or 4 bolt

My engine buiders software shows that casting number being used on 454's well into the early 80's What is the engine code stamed on the front of the deck ?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bryon,

If you think it might be in the messed up area above the GM 4, I can try cleaning that area off Monday (the engine is at work right now).

The front pad on the passenger side deck of the block has been cleaned off.

David

·
3,408 Posts
David,
That might be the date code, hard to tell. When you get back to the block, take some pictures of the sides from far enough away to see the entire engine.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK Bill, will do.

It sounds though that you are saying it is 3963512, but the date is unknown. Correct?

If this is correct, I will be happy since all I wanted was a 427 that has the correct casting number for a L72.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
Hi Bryon,

If you think it might be in the messed up area above the GM 4, I can try cleaning that area off Monday (the engine is at work right now).

The front pad on the passenger side deck of the block has been cleaned off.

David
David, yes it could be in that area. But early ones had the date code over on the passenger side not too far from where the engine/motor mounts bolt on.

Also take a picture of the distributor hole area. I may be able to narrow the date down a bit by looking at that area.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I can not find any other number, that fits the 39_3512 format.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
There aren't any other Chevrolet big block casting numbers that end in 512, and those are clearly the numbers on the one you have.

There is a 3963513 which is for a mid 70s 454. But yours is a 512.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
3953512 was also on the 327 from 62-67

just my 2 cents...

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went into work today to get a few pictures.

Here is picture of the passenger side.

Here is a picture of the number on the passenger side before I tried cleaning it off.

Here is a picture after I tried cleaning it off.

To me, it looks like a 8 -837 or a B-?37. Is this the date code? It does not make sense to me.

David

·
3,408 Posts
Looks like somebody got real carried away with the paint. The exhaust valves are coated with red :( Wonder how much got into the cylinders ?

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
I have been told that the casting date is cast upside down and it looks like L.28.8---->Dec. 28th, 1968
Cool. So if that is really L 28 8 ( and not L 28 9 ) then it was originally a 427. Can you post a picture?

Is there anything stamped on the oil pan mounting surface of the block? Like a T and some numbers?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts