Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is restored 1969 Big Block RSSS on eBay right now. I've been looking for a matching #s one for 2 years now. However, the body tag looks like its crooked on the firewall (although it is an early build with no X Code). Anyway, welcome anyone with thoughts on originality of this car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...wItemQQcategoryZ6161QQitemZ190088727798QQrdZ1

Thanks (PS even though I'm trans_am_man I love Camaros and have a 1967 RSSS Convertible :) )

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Ad text states:

"All items were removed from the body of the car which were then media blasted and coated with etching primer. "

There are several issues with the resto but if the block stamp is gennie it is the real deal.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
The trim tag is pre- X code. There is nothing to fake on a pre-X code tag. It's not like they will put X22 or X66 on there.

Lets forget about trm tags for a moment. With both pre-x code Camaro's (I love them since the first car I ever purchased was a pre-X code 1969 Camaro) and LOS/Van Nuys cars people are faking the VIN#'s and stampings. I am not accusing this car of being fake or saying it's real. Nonetheless it's a nice looking car!

All I will say, he disclosed the reserve price. A clean and I mean clean 124379N5XXXXX VIN RS/SS Optioned Camaro with a 396 in it easily goes for what he wants for it. Nice colors too!! Make sure the VIN on the dash matches the hidden VIN. I'd rather pay his reserve for a nice clean highly optioned Big Block Camaro than spend 25 grand more and find out it's a fake. It's worth his reserve all day long if it's clean. And if the numbers truly are legit and match it's worth more than that!!

If you can't drive out there than send a licensed vehicle inpsector to check it out. At the most you will lose $200 or $300 this way and find out it's real ora fake rust and bondo bucket. I'd say check it out ASAP. Looks nice a nice ride, matching numbers or not!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been on ebay several times.
Someone went and looked at the car. They were not impressed with the condition of it; it's still for sale.
Just wondering if you know people who have looked at the car and were not impressed- or suspecting it because it has been listed several times. Any feedback from the lookers?

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
I'm making a factual statement, not a supposition:
I know someone who went and looked at the car. They were not impressed with the condition of it; it's still for sale.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i would say the car is worth 40 k hands down!!!!!! assuming the pics show exacly what it is......

and his reserve is that, so if you wanted it go look at it.....

numbers matching would be a plus!!!

i say 40k even if were not numbers matching...and if is as nice in person as the pics show..... you would pay more than that to build it your self.......

i have seen this for sale before....its beautiful!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I have seen this car on craigslist and ebay a few times, as it always shows up as the closest first gen to me. It is a few blocks from my home, but I have never seen it uncovered.
I think the first time it was offered for sale, the asking price was around 62K, and it has gone to over 40k without hitting reserve. It may be a little like real estate where the seller scares off buyers with a high asking price and the listing goes stale. Buyers then assume something is wrong with and no one will buy it.
Some of the dates look a little wide to me, but I am not the 69 expert.
If it was a 68 this well optioned, it might be in my garage right now. With 55K in reciepts, I would think you could not build this car for less than the reserve. If you must have an garaunted original car, you need to find a car with paperwork and owner history, and be prepared to pay alot more.
I would be curious what the guy who looked at it didn't like and what it would take to fix those items.
I also think if you have been looking for 2 years without buying, you may be a very selective buyer. I know I find a car I like every few months, but don't have the room for any more cars. I also prefer #2-3 cars that I can drive.
If you are serious about the car, I could go look at it and give you an independent opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I like the car but I can see why whomever looked at it felt it had issues.. I mean the trim tag on crocked is one thing and in that same picture look at the hardware they used to secure the wiper motor...a phillips head screw with a washer ? I mean these could all be things that are easliy fixed but it just makes you wonder on a car that has been recently restored.... and some of the dates on a 09C car seem to be very early and one seems to be to late... But I think the key is the motor. If you can determine the motor and trans are original stampings then ....

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Annnnnnnnd,,, there's no putty securing the windshield washer tube!:D
But seriously, that's not a RS wiper motor either. It should look like mine:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
I haven't seen the car, but I'd suggest checking it out before buying it (as you would do with any car, right??).

After a 15 hour drive to buy the car, here's some comments from the person who looked at it:
"They had primers overspray on all the parts under the car all the bolts and clamps were rusty. There were holes with bondo pushed through to the inside. Panels under the car that were patched poorly and some not patched. Stripe is poorly done and not correct I spent 5 minutes and quit looking and left without buying the car. The guy misrepresented the car. It is what I would call a fair internet restoration. It needs completely disassembly and redone top to bottom."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts