Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This if my first time in this forum so please be gentle.
I've been looking for a project car for a while now, and I think I found one, but I'm not sure about the price. The car is a '68 with no motor or trans. The VIN is 123378N398999, which if I'm reading correctly says this is a 6 cyl sports coupe, nothing special, so I can do whatever I want to it without destroying something with real value (Z28, etc). The guy wants $3800 for it, but will probably take a little less (He bought it to build a street stock car, broke the motor in another car and now is selling this one. Here are the details of what I would get and what I want to do.

What I want to do: I want to restore the interior and body to their stock appearance(mostly), and put a modern drive train under it (350, 4-spd, 9-inch rearend). I have a pretty good idea of the cost (alot) and amount of work (more than I anticipate
) this is going to involve.

What I'm getting: Like I said it's a 68 with no motor or trans. The guy who's selling it is a welder by trade and did a bunch of body work. Both front fenders are totally new. Radiator cradle is original but no problems visible. He replaced both rear quarter panels because of wheel well rust. Complete floorpans were replaced on both sides. Trunk pan is kind of rusty but no holes, etc. New shock tower caps were welded in. He has all the chrome (trim, etc) for it as far as I could tell. (BTW the car is basically a shell right now so I did get eyeballs on everything). All the rest of the sheet metal is in good condition based on a visual inspection. He already purchsed the kit and a bunch of other parts to do the interior (all from Rick's). As far as I can tell he has everything to complete the interior. Finally he's including a complete subframe from a 69 (body is on the pro-street chasis with the blown(up) engine).

That's pretty much it. I'm tempted by this deal because the body is so good. I have experience with all the drive train/engine/brake work, but I've never done any serious body work, so I need a car with a good body. I know the bottom line is what it's worth to me, but I'm curious what everyone thinks. Thanks.
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Straight rust free body, complete interior (new), and all the stainless. Not bad. See if he'll take less, but your not getting hurt. IMO

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is a '67 in the for sale section of this site (listed 11/30) with a clean body and an engine (302 no less), transmission and 12 bolt rear for 1200 dollars more. It sounds like a cheaper project in the long run.

My $.02

Scott.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'll give you an idea of what I paid for mine which might help. I bought a '69 original six cylinder that had in it when I bought it a somewhat tired 350 with a slipping T350 tranny. It had PS, PDB, 4 good 15 inch tires, the original 8.2 inch one-legged rear, and a new driver's side pan and new rear quarters. The rest of the car was rust free (I live in Phx.). The car had black paint that was due for a repaint and the interior was mostly shot (I need one of those kits from Rick's that you mentioned). All the trim, glass, etc. was all there.

I paid $2,500 for it about a year and a half ago. Hope this helps to give you an idea of a reasonable price to pay. You might want to log on to autotrader.com and see what other Camaros in similiar shape are going for.

After a year and a half and still in the middle of my big block, T400, and 8.5 posi rear conversion, my best advice is to buy the most complete car you can afford outfitted the way you want it because you'll be $ ahead in the long run.

Good luck - Jon

------------------
'69 Restification

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you can do the mechanical stuff your self than I say go for it. You could probably find a running camaro for about the same price but the area you live in it would prob. need 6000 grand to fix the body. Where as a decent motor and tranny if you install it your self will set you back 3000 grand or so.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not to discourage anyone, but if I had to do it all over again I would have bought a better car to begin with. There are good cars that people spend a lot of money on and then sell for half of what they put into them. I bought mine for $5,500. The previous guy had about $11,000 in it. I have put another 3 years and $20,000 into it. Because I took my time on the front end I'm only about $5,000 underwater. I see cars all the time in the $10,000 range that are ready to get in and enjoy from key turn one. Take a good long time and educate yourself on what to look for and take your time. I spent about a good year and a half educating myself before I found the right car. Biggest item to look out for is rust. Body work starts the dollar clock running into overdrive. Be patient and buy the best car that you can afford. Think about what you want to spend in total. You would be surprised haw nice of a car you can get by shopping wisely. Also, this is one of the best resources you can find. Don't be affraid to ask questions. If you can find a good resto shop in your area, start hanging around and asking questions. Most good shops know that this is part of the business and are very helpfull as it leads to more eventual business for them. They usually see cars come and go all the time and may have done a lot of the work on a car that is now for sale. They also can give you a professional opinion on a car before you buy it. Good luck.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think you may be better off spending more now and get a better car,then spending it later fixing up this one.You can find an RS or a more original car for a decent price if you look.You may not care about that now,but when it comes time to sell it,it will be worth more. You say he has all the trim as far as you could tell.You can spend thousands replacing missing or damaged trim,so i would make sure of whats there and whats not,and use that as a negotiating point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts