Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just bought a 69 and have come to find that there are a few issues with the lights and turn signals not working properly.

So I checked all the bulbs and they look good, a few of the sockets in the trunk are pretty dirty\corroded but the lights work kind of in those sockets...

Symptoms.
1. No Marker lights are working
2. Left Indicator blinks with the EBrake light
3. Right Indicator does not blink, it stays solid but does come on.
4. Not sure if it's related but the Console Gas Gauge is not working (Sender works read 87ohms and tank was just filled)

I have checked my Fuses and bulbs and they look good, have not checked the Flasher unit (can you test this?)

Can anyone help me with troubleshooting, is there a sticky somewhere on this subject?

·
Registered
1969 RS Camaro
130 Posts
Maybe google up a good colored wiring diagram and start checking for power.

·
Premium Member
6,411 Posts
Grounds.

Check each hot for power, each ground for ground.

Could also be a turn signal or head light switch.

·
Premium Member
12,510 Posts
The console gauge would not necessary be related unless it is a bad fuse. The grounds for the dash and the console are separate. Follow the Fuel Gauge troubleshooter here: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195833

For the indicator lights - X2 on ground issues are 90% of the time responsible for odd reactions. The main ground is a wire connected tot he dash by the headlight switch from behind.

There are two flasher units the one under the dash by the radio controls the signals. The one on the fuse panel controls the emergency aka 4 way flashers. If they are working, swap the unit with the signal one. If the hazards continue to work the issue is not the flasher unit.

All roads lead to Rome or in our case the turn signal switch inside the steering column. But the brake switch and the harmonica are also locations to look and trouble shoot.

By using the harmonica connection on the column you can bypass and test each group.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Jeremy, get you a circuit tester if you don't have one.(http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...nduct-tite-electrical-multi-tester/69335_0_0/) Use this tester to test the side marker lights with bulb removed. Replace the turn signal flasher part# 552. Replace thr emergency flasher part# 556. What are these indicators you are talking about that come on but don't flash. Turn signal ??? 4 way emergency flashers ??? Like I said replacing the flashers 552 and 556 should take care of the indicator lights not blinking. I don't know what the EBrake light is.

·
Premium Member
5,449 Posts
Marker lights may have bad bulbs or sockets. Use test light to check power as previously mentioned. Check for ground issue near dash for left indicator or maybe the row of lights is incorrectly installed. For right not flashing that is the classic symptom of a burned out bulb. It's possible for the running light to light but the T/S filament to be bad. Recheck the bulbs.

The gas guage might be better served in it's own post but here goes.

Disconnect the pink wire in the trunk (right below the trunk lock) With open circuit gauge should read past full. Ground the car side (not the tank side) of this wire and gauge should read below empty. If the gauge does this the sender is bad. If it doesn't do this the problem is in front of this connection (might be bad gauge)

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts