Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been waiting almost 4 months and its finally here. Vintage Air direct fit system for my '69. The car is an X44 that had factory ac which I removed. The firewall hole has been covered with an aftermarket piece that mimicks a factory cover box
Shipping box Wood Automotive design Packaging and labeling Floor
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive battery Automotive exterior
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive battery Automotive exterior
( see pics). The VA system is designed to mount the ac compressor in the stock location but all the hoses are routed over the pass side wheelwell housing between the housing and the fender and the through the blower fan hole. Looks like I will be busy for the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,839 Posts
While its all apart, you might want to consider looking at the DSE steel heater delete panel. You can still run your hose through the firewall or through the heater motor area, but the panel looks a bit nicer than the factory style cover IMHO.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel Car

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While its all apart, you might want to consider looking at the DSE steel heater delete panel. You can still run your hose through the firewall or through the heater motor area, but the panel looks a bit nicer than the factory style cover IMHO.

View attachment 286139
I dig it! Just ordered one from Jegs. Question about re-attaching your fender. Did you install it with the inner wheelwell in place or did you remove the wheelwell housing and attach it to the fender and re-install as a unit?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I just did a car for a client that we put a "smoothed firewall" aluminum cover from the heater motor to the brake booster. Installed it with silicon. He sent the cover like yours back and the smooth cover was cheaper. Just a thought, I did the same on my car.
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
I am curious. My Vintage Air Gen 4 required several bolts through the firewall to mount the evaporator. I glued two studs to the inside of the firewall and cowl panel in order to keep the firewall smooth. How did the other members on this site with a smoothed firewall hide the bolts?

Bumper Automotive exterior Fender Rim Gas

·
16,402 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you include a pic of the alternator and how it's mounted? Also is that the AC compressor mounting bracket from Vintage Air
The the VA kit I got will keep the alternator/ bracket in the stock position mounted on the passenger side. The VA kit includes a Sanden style compressor which will mount on the drivers side, similar to the location of the factory ac compressor. I'll post pics as I move along with the install.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I used the DSE evaporator bracket

Does this set the evaporator out the thickness of the bracket and a little more away from the inside of the firewall I assume? I'm thinking about using that bracket on mine but haven't seen any comments on it. You would do it again?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Detroit Speed bracket only works on a 1969 Camaro.

Here is a good post on how to install the Vintage Air in a 1969 Camaro with the Detroit Speed bracket. It starts at post 85.
Tim's 69 Grocery Getter
I see from his posts that he ran into a problem with one of the VA outlets being partially blocked by the factory dash support bracket. I wonder if he solved it?

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
I see from his posts that he ran into a problem with one of the VA outlets being partially blocked by the factory dash support bracket. I wonder if he solved it?
Mr. Tim posted that he had to cut the bracket and weld a rod in place in post #103.
You might want to send him a personal message to find out the details.

I did not have these problems, but my car is not a 1969 Camaro.

Reactions: Tom pugh

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tom pugh, post: 1783306619, member: 138958"]
Been waiting almost 4 months and its finally here. Vintage Air direct fit system for my '69. The car is an X44 that had factory ac which I removed. Looks like I will be busy for the next few weeks.

So far, so good. Condenser, dryer and hardlines installed (see pics). Wish my fingers were smaller, not much room in the condenser channel to get all those starwasher bracket mounting nuts started. Shoud be mounting the Sanden compressor and brackets tomorrow.
Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Tread

1 - 20 of 66 Posts