Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in late December, I started what was going to be a one weekend project and finally hit the road again tonight.:hurray:

The project of swapping the 10 year old monos for JCW 3 leaves snowballed into learning to weld, replacing a spring reinforcement, rebuilding the 12 bolt, cleaning and painting the underside, and adding a new fuel tank. But in the end it was worth it!

Tonight, I, along with Melrose Jr. in his pajamas took a shake-down cruise around the neighborhood and the car feels great!
We drove on smooth and bumpy suburban streets and the suspension is quieter and stiffer, but no more harsh. I still have the KYB gas-a-just shocks and may swap them out. I still have to fill the gas tank, check the ride height and take some corners to determine how different the handling is. On the weekend I'll take some photos to show the ride height and post before/after in this thread. Stay tuned...

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
I have the 4 leaf Z-28 replacements....Shocks will make a big difference :yes:

:beers: to first cruise this year.

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, second drive tonight and got to push it a little harder on some corners. HUGE difference over the monos! Much better control. Much less body roll. Photos coming later.

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Put 50+ miles on the car Saturday before most of Massachusetts woke up. I can say I have not found ANY negatives to running these 3 leaves over the monos. Now some photos....Tires are 235-60/15 all around. 8 inch AZ rallys on back.

First is the car with the old monos and about 2 gallons of gas. This is the highest it ever sat! These monos are only about 10years old.

This is after the JCW rear springs, still very little gas in the tank.

This is with JCW springs, full tank of gas, no spare in the trunk.

I love this new stance! :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ubolts. I used 7/16" x3"x 7.5". They are much too long and I'll cut them down BUT there are two advantages I found to this lenth and size. First, if you are like me, trying to install a rear alone in a one car garage, the longer bolts make it easier for you. Second, the thread and bolt size is the same as original so you will not have to drill plates/perches and you can reuse the original nuts to double nut the bolts.

You can barely see that I reused the top old rubber spring pad after trimming off the sides with a pair of dikes. If I had left this pad out completely, the plate and perch would be closer together but the car would be that much higher in the rear.

This one is for Skip (Skeeter55). His used westcoast 12bolt cover now lives on my eastcoast car. In my eyes, there's something so much cooler to that than just buying new cover! :cool:

Thanks again, Skip!:beers:

I've tried to cover it best I can but if anybody has questions, post 'em up. :thumbsup:

Oh, one last thing, DO NOT expect these springs to eliminate wheel hop. They don't!:D

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Tom your very welcome:thumbsup:.... I'm glad my 12-bolt cover has found a good home and is in use:beers:. Any time i can help out a awesome fellow Team Camaro member, just makes me feel that much better:yes:....

Also the car looks great Tom and your on the road for the summer:beers:.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I just took my car for its first drive on these springs last night and I was impressed. My rear used to bottom out and it used to creak and squeak. Now all thats gone and the car handles much better. I swapped from my stock multis to these since they were cheap. Im using lakewood bars now but plan to swap to caltracs.

Just to confirm what everyone is already saying, for a stock replacement these spring do work.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just took my car for its first drive on these springs last night and I was impressed. My rear used to bottom out and it used to creak and squeak. Now all thats gone and the car handles much better. I swapped from my stock multis to these since they were cheap. Im using lakewood bars now but plan to swap to caltracs.

Just to confirm what everyone is already saying, for a stock replacement these spring do work.
i have this setup and like it, and the springs may not stop wheel hop, but the caltracs do! I'm glad the cruising season is here! :hurray:

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to say....I liked the stance better in the before pics. That's one of the reasons I'm hestitant about swaping out my mono-leafs (although I need it) I don't want the raised height in the back end.
Keep in mind, that before pic was as high as it could possibly be because there was no spare, no gas and no people in it. It didn't usually look that good. I think it will settle some eventually. But if you like a lower stance swap the monos for the Hotchkiss springs. You can't go wrong with the Hotchkiss setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts