Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Z/28, with what I believe to be the original drivetrain. I do not have any paperwork with the car, only owner history. Do you think I would benefit enough having Mr. MacNeish inspect the car and write up a certification, or would I be smarter to not to spend that money and just sell the car as it is? I would be looking at probably $2k to have him inspect it, so do you think the market would support spending that to have it done or would I not really add enough value to the car. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
2K sounds like a tough one to bite.I guess if your getting 100K its not to bad,I think I would read his book and see what you get from it first and ask TC for input on the car.I think he lives up my way and I have a friend that knows him personaly that may have some input if you want I can call him to see if it would be worth your while.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have his book, I have also put info on here before, and I am sure it is an authentic Z/28 with original trim tag. The only problem I have run into is that the car is an 02D built Norwood car, and the engine does not have the vin located next to oil filter, there is nothing there, but there is part of my vin number stamped on the bellhousing there at the oil filter boss area. Also, the DZ code is first week of March. I have talked to Mr. MacNeish before and he and others told me there are cars from Norwood built the last week of February that have first week of March engine codes as apparently there were no 03A cars built at Norwood, it goes from 02D to 03B. Stamping is authentic, but as you can see, I always get questions from people saying "You can't have the original motor if it was built after the trim tag date". I guess my thinking is, if I don't have the POP or build sheets, would a certification from Mr. MacNeish at least prove to most that it is a numbers matching engine and a real Z/28.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, like I said I have had the trim tag and engine stamping looked at by KurtS and Jonesy and others before, who I consider as experts at spoting fakes, and they said they saw no problems with either. Also I have owner history back to the second owner and know that the engine has always been with the car and tag has not been removed.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
If there car is real and original,His certs when selling the car will bring you way more than 2k. I have seen this many times with parts and cars, they absolutly bring more money. Especially with all the bogus crap flying around. JMO.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input. I have put the car on here a couple of times, and also priced it at a few car shows. Usually, after I talk about the engine, I don't hear back from anybody because there are so many fakes out there. Maybe I am too honest, as I try to explain the whole story as I don't want any surprises or any question about my honesty about the car. I have been asking 55k-60k for the car, which I have seen some clones and CE motor cars bring. The car was rotisserie restored and is in excellent condition. I just wonder do enough people know who Jerry MacNeish is and if he authenticated the car, would the engine questions be less. Thanks again for your input, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
he will write a report and you can show anybody interested. It would definitly answer 90% of skeptics in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input, I tend to agree with you. The question is, and I have had people ask me, is that alot of people don't really know who he is, and if they don't know of him, they don't really care about his opinion. IMHO, if I am gonna buy a z car, and I know he has seen it and certified it, I would feel very safe about it, the price would be my only concern at that point. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Rod, My car is a 02D car with no vin stamp on the block by oil filter. It would be interesting to know your vin # to see how close they are.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PM sent to you Larry. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
I think it is a good idea. I have a car that I am selling right now and the fact Jerry inspected it goes a long way . I would try to find some other first gen owners in your area and try to get a few of them together to share the cost of Jerry's cert. I beleive Jerry will cert up to four or five cars per fee.... but of course check with him

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why not offer the car for sale either with the certification prior to sale or at the buyers option with no certification and a negotiated price reduction. That way you only spend the money on it if the buyer values it. Right now it doesn't cost you anything, and if I'm the buyer I feel you're probably not BSing me if you're willing to have it certified.

·
Banned
2,753 Posts
If there is any question about authenticity, have it inspected. Then guarantee the car to be genuine, and offer to buy it back if proven by another industry recognized expert to not be genuine within say, two weeks.

Jerry has inspected several cars for me, and by far is one of the most down to earth people that I have met in the hobby/business.

Include his website and conact information in the ad, and he will answer any questions a potential buyer may have.

I had a nice 70 Z for sale that wa JM certed, the buyer was on the fence at my firm price, and lived too far away to come see the car. After calling Jerry, he called back and bought the car. He was happy with the car.

Rich

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I would have him inspect it. that certification will make the selling process go a lot quicker and seperate you from the other guys out there with.. "Z-28s". Even if a buyer isn't aware of all the codes, tags, stamps, etc.. at least he will be impressed you are explaining it to him and have the best guy in the business backing you up. Also, he will get the certification at the close of the deal. He will know that will help him later. I had my car appraised (not by Jerry). The guy sent me a real nice report and rated things like interior, paint, authenticity, etc.. I know it will help later if I decide to sell.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
The question is, and I have had people ask me, is that alot of people don't really know who he is, and if they don't know of him, they don't really care about his opinion.
Rod, if someone is REALLY interested in an authentic Z/28 enough to pay what you are asking for it and they claim to not know who Jerry is, then they have either been living on Mars for a while or they are all talk. I would ask them who they think the most qualified person is to verify it is what you say it is. If they have no answer, then it doesn't matter if it is Jerry certified or not. They are just wasting your time. There are lots of posers out there who want to pretend they can run with the big dogs. That's what watching too much 'Real Housewives of Orange County" will do to you.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Rod, if someone is REALLY interested in an authentic Z/28 enough to pay what you are asking for it and they claim to not know who Jerry is, then they have either been living on Mars for a while or they are all talk. I would ask them who they think the most qualified person is to verify it is what you say it is. If they have no answer, then it doesn't matter if it is Jerry certified or not. They are just wasting your time. There are lots of posers out there who want to pretend they can run with the big dogs. That's what watching too much 'Real Housewives of Orange County" will do to you.
Could not have said it:beers: better myself.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with you both, that is how I feel, but you know, sometimes it helps to hear it from somebody else. I run into alot of guys here in the South that either really don't know him or pretend not to. My gut feeling on it is to have him write an appraisal, along with a certification. In my book, it is the next best thing to the POP or build sheet. Now whether it will add much value to my car, I guess that is just something I will have to risk. Thanks for all the input, it really helps.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Just a thought, why not try and sell it from a different angle? You can advertise it as it is and if someone is that serious and wants the car verified you can negotiate to split the cost of having Jerry certify it or say you pay my price I pay for Jerry's appraisal and if its everything I say it is its a done deal! Just athough if your on the fence that much...??

1 - 20 of 165 Posts