Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I figured maybe it was time to post a build thread here. Maybe you guys can help me stay motivated and get this thing finished!

I bought a old used and abused 69 race car back in 2013. Drove from Chicago to Cheyenne Wyoming to pick up my 2nd Camaro. First being a 97 that I turned into a pro street car. Here's how she looked the day I picked her up.

I was shocked to find out it was much more solid then I was expecting but you know how that goes.

Jim

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After I got it back home I quickly started on the tear down. I knew after I pulled the front clip it was going to need quite a bit of sheet metal. No less than floors, firewall, quarters, trunk, fender patches and a roof. I was hoping to save the rockers and maybe the a pillars.....

You can really see the extent of the abuse the firewall took in this pic. Good Ol' BFH mentality if the distributor doesn't clear.

After that pulled this bad boy out and parted it out. It looked like it had been in a collision at some point in its life.

It was about at this point I realized that this old drag car had some twist in it. I wasn't totally shocked but never the less it put the brakes on my work. Well that and building a Jeep.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a year or so off I decided that it was time to do things right and build a "first gen jig" for the car. From there a continued ripping pieces of the front of the car. Decided to tear the firewall and floor out first and then move front to back. Leaving the roof for the end. This summer I got the firewall burned into place. This winter I've been dragging my heels a litlle bit but got some time in today fabbing some new rails for my inner rockers and getting the new AMD inner rockers all prepped.

Here's a shot of the new "rails" as I'm calling them. They are the contact point of the inner rocker to the outer rocker at the door sill.

Prepped inners.

And where it stands with the firewall in place. Best pick I had. It's since been welded in to its final spot.

I had a little problem a few weeks ago that the guys in the "bodyshop" section helped me sort out. My pass side cage nut was bottomed out. After a call into AMD they told me that the location was of and had to be removed and welded into the correct place. So a couple quick welds later and the floor mocked into its soon to be home nicely.

And that's about where it's at for now. Hopefully I'll have some more good stuff to share down the road.

Jim

·
19,897 Posts
Looking great so far....keep us updated :beers:

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Jim, looks like you are on top of things. It's a lot of fun bringing these camaro's back to their beauty. I'll be following you.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Shouldn't be hard to keep you motivated - sounds like you are having a boat load of fun right now. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. It's been a pretty slow start seeing as I started in 2013. The addition of a garage heater has allowed me to start making use of the winter months.

One thing this car has taught me already is that my welding could be better.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got some more progress done over the last couple days (about 8 hours)

I left off on the inner rockers and fabbing up new mounting points for them. I ran into more problems from the previous owners roll cage which required me to notch part of the door sill area and replace it with about 1/8" steel.

Here's what it looked like to start.

In progress shots

After the sill was repaired I moved on to locating the new rail/flange. Here are the stitch progress and eventual mock up photos

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After I completed the drivers side I started in on the passengers side. More roll cage repair brought me to this.....

I should have some more updates by Sunday hopefully.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yesterdays work. Tackled the pass side.Here's a couple pics.

Repairing the rocker support. Then moving to the actual rocker its self.

And all ready for the vertical member and eventual inner rocker.

Thanks DT.

Reactions: Triman8654

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Wow...Nice work Jim!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Chad.

A question to any of those out there watching. I went to mock in the inner rockers on Sunday. Looks like the lower portion of the rear OUTER rocker got bent down when I removed the original inners. I knew this when I did it but now that I'm mocking everything In it's starting to make me question the alignment of the new panel.

Here's my question should the lower portion of the OUTER rocker be parallel with the door sill? or should I just worry about bending the outer rocker so that the flanges on both my inner and out rockers line up? My electronic level show it to be about an 1/8th out of level once I get it to be what I deem "close"

I've searched but doesn't seem there is good info on rocker replacements here.

Thank you,

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I've been MIA for a while. About the last time I posted I got serious about studying for my PE exam. Which lasted a few months. I've since gotten back to work and wouldn't you know it my computer breaks down. So once I get everything back in working order I'll start uploading more pics.

So far I've had most of the front clip blasted and epoxied and inner rocker areas repaired and ready for final placement. I noticed either due to the previous owner or the new inner rockers that the new sheet metal left a few areas that would have required massive amounts of seam sealer. Obviously this wasn't acceptable. So few hours later with the mini mig and I got it all patched up.

Biggest problem right now is deciding on what color to paint the car.....

Hopefully more to come in the next week or two!

~Jim~

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Plenty of updates over the summer and the fall.
Inner rockers went in and look great.
One piece floor has gone in and welded.
Front fenders and door frames have been blasted and epoxied.

Currently working on getting the rear of the car demolished and ready for all the new metal.

Here's a couple of shots of how the passenger rocker finished out. You can also see the cleaned up door frames. Hoping to start ordering more metal for the rear of the car shortly and start piecing it back together out back. Thanksgiving could be a busy weekend for the garage.

Little side note I ended up signing up for a rally run in August and hope to bring this car. That puts me on a deadline which hopefully means car goes to paint in Feb. or March. Stayed tuned.....

Thanks for reading

~Jim~

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haven't posted since the PhotoBucket debacle but it looks like all the pictures got restored. I plan on updating with all the work that has taken place over the last 2 years.

Good news is sheet metal is almost done. I ran into some spontaneous projects over the summer that stopped me from painting the interior sides of the quarters and roof skin but once the spring pops up the quarters will be getting burned in for good.

Also interesting note....... I ordered a 4 Link from DSE before thanksgiving of 2018 hoping to get my rear suspension completed before 2019...........GOOD NEWS!! I still haven't received the parts.

If anyone's watching....thanks for checking in. More to come!

~Jim~

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After the rockers got burned in I moved my attention to finishing the floor....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts