Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone is advertising "1969 CHEVY CAMARO ORIGINAL DATE CODED FRONT & REAR DISK BRAKES", does that mean they are JL8 brakes?

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
That was the only way they were available.

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for my ignorance... I don't quite understand your post:

You said, "That was the only way they were available" --- does that mean that JL8 brakes were only available as front and rear? The thing I am trying to figure out is, if someone is advertising front and rear date coded disc brakes for a 69 Camaro, and it turns out to be true, does it mean that they are definately JL8's? If so, is under $500.00 a good deal?

·
Retired
26,739 Posts
Steve RPO JL-8 disc brakes started out as a rear disc service package added at the dealership in 1968. It became orderable from the factory in '69. What you got was different front (larger) rotors and calipers and a complete different rear axle housing with larger axles and the disc brakes. I believe it cost between $500 and $600 to equip the car with RPO JL-8 back then. Today a complete JL-8 setup is worth thousands. I would be leary of a $500 deal! Too much for just a bunch of brake parts and not enough for the real deal. Maybe you can get with Farm Boy, Steve or Vintage 68, John and check them out.

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far this is all I know:

Markings on front brakes: GMN L-48

Rear: 1070204 (then there's either a 1 or a /... he's not sure)

Single piston - no rear axle... rotors, calipers, backing plates

What say you?

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
So far this is all I know:

Markings on front brakes: GMN L-48

Rear: 1070204 (then there's either a 1 or a /... he's not sure)

Single piston - no rear axle... rotors, calipers, backing plates

What say you?
Not them. JL8's were four piston and the disc's were larger than the optional front disc's.
Before I read Dennis's link, let me tell you a story.;) When I sat in the sales office of my dealer ordering my car back in 1969, I asked the TWO salesmen 'How much for the 4 wheel disc breaks?' They looked at each other, shrugged and left the room to find out. Ten minutes later they returned with a torn-off adding machine tape and handed it to me. Hand written was the number $512.00. That was more than my L78 or CX Turbo 400. Hell, it was more than any of my options and my sticker was over $5100.00. In fact, it was two months pay for me. Still, I wanted them! There was no such thing as calculators or PC's. Nothing to help me to make a decision. I must have sat there thinking of a way to pull it off for over 10 minutes. Nope I thought. All my buddies said the regular disc brake option was good enough. Well, over the years the JL8 proved troublesome and my regular disc brakes are still perfect with the original rotors and calipers. They work really good too.:thumbsup:

But. About 25 years ago Hotrod Magazine did a story on the first gen's that was mainly about the 69. It called the JL8 option the #1 Camaro option of ALL time. Only 112 were produced (as I recall the story saying) and most of those were on now wrecked race-cars.
Hind sight:sad: .
Now off to Dennis's link after I pour a cocktail.:hurray:

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help everyone... the quest continues :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
were'nt there 206 cars with the j-l8 set-up?

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
White Book says 206

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Back in 1969 I worked in the Advanced Product Engineering Group at Saginaw Steering Gear Division, GMC. We had a project where we were going to try to create a parking brake system for vehicles with disc brakes on the rear. At that time we tried to purchase a 1969 Corvette for the project but our upper management wouldn't let us purchase such an expensive car.

I discovered that we could order a "cheap" Camaro with a 4 wheel disc brake option. Upper management OK'd the purchase a Camaro for our engineering project (they probably didn't even look at the cost.) Several weeks later a bright green Z28 with white stripes and JL8 brakes showed up in our engineering garage.

The disc brake parking brake project never went anywhere. At the end of the year, the Camaro was posted for sale on the salary company car used car board. I don't remember the selling price but it might have been around $5100, I'm just not sure. Because of its high price, I am quite sure that the car never sold to any employee and our beautiful Camaro was probably sent to auction.
JIML82

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just found a guy with this JL8 set up. The front and rears, but I'm not sure what all comes with it. From what I think I read here, is that if this doesn't come with the rear end, then it might be pointless buying these items because a rear JL8 rear end was larger I guess. Can someone set me straight on this!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts