Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on putting a JL8 brakes on the front of my camaro but when I put the rotor on, the caliper will not gone unless I put washers behind the rotor. My question, is it safe to use washers behind the rotor so it can come out approximately 1/16 of a inch. I am using drum hubs on disc spindles. I was thinking I could use a stainlees steel circular saw blade and trim in so that it would fit inside of the rotor; that way the measurement would be consistant all the way around the hub. Not sure though, it may be to flimsy. Any suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I have heard of the calipers getting or needing shims,but not the rotors!!!!!!!

how did you shim the rotors?

did you put washers behind the tapered bearing?

this does not sound like a good idea!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Are you confusing JL8 brakes with standard disc brakes? JL8 was the rear disc brake option on a Camaro. I definitely would not shim the rotors out. Sounds to me like you've got a batch of mis-matched parts.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rotors are like a hat (corvette type) where you slip them on over the drum brake hub. You can put washers behind the rotor to bring it out some. I did not mean putting shims on the bearings. In other words the rotor and hub are two separate parts.

JL8 brakes were use on the front as well as the back. My back is perfect, it is just the front that I can't seem to cooperate.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The rotors are like a hat (corvette type) where you slip them on over the drum brake hub. You can put washers behind the rotor to bring it out some. I did not mean putting shims on the bearings. In other words the rotor and hub are two separate parts.

JL8 brakes were use on the front as well as the back. My back is perfect, it is just the front that I can't seem to cooperate.
thats right, they are hub less......

·
Registered
277 Posts
Rather than using washers, you should make a pattern and have a machine shop make you a pair of spacers that will be the correct thickness and cover the entire face of he hub.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Are you sure you have the right rotors? If you're using vette rotors, I think the front rotors have a slightly different offset than the rear (but I forget which direction each one is). Pretty sure JL8 uses the "front" vette rotor.

When you try to install the calipers, what's hitting? If it's just the inside pad, I'd probably try to sort out a way to shave the pad (take a belt sander to it?) and thin it out (assuming there's lots of meat there).

Fundamentally, I don't think there'd be anything catastrophically wrong with running a spacer, it should be similar to running a wheel spacer in terms of loading, etc. It does tend to put a little bit of a bending load in the wheel studs if anything moves, though and if you can sort some other solution out, I'd avoid running spacers if possible. If you do have to run them, definitely make something that's "full width" rather than use individual washers.

·
Registered
602 Posts
my front rotors are .390 thick in the hub area , and the rear are .295. how much space is there between the rotor and the top spindle bolt ?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the Part no. on the box 52-60240 & sku BR 5544.
The box also has the rotor numbers that it replaces as follows:

RAY 5500
SBC AR8210
UBP U101440
WAG BD60240

When I look them up on the internet, the RAY 5500 says front for a vette.
I took the washers off, the caliper will not go on the bracket, it's 1/16 off. David is probably right, they must be for the rear.

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

Robert compare this to yours .
Mark, I check the hub and spindle today and got the same measurements you have, so I suspect it is the caliper bracket. I going to take it to a machine shop or brake shop and have them shave some of the metal off and it should fit. Thanks for you help.

I notice on various web sites, DRClassic, Ricks First Gen., Year 1, etc., they always say that their 1969 spindles will only fit single calipers. I thought all 1969 production disc spindles were the same and would fit JL8 calipers as well. Does anyone know if this is true or not; if so what are the part number(s) for the JL8 disc spindle? Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts