Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there were only about 200 JL8 cars in 69, but was that option specific to any particular model. Have a new aquaintence that has an RS with JL8 and he claims it is original to the car. Of course, no docs to prove it! What's the chance and how can you tell? THanks

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
There is a way to tell if it's original, problem is I don't know what it is. I think it has something to do with a tapered axle housing. Someone will let you know that has knowledge in that area.

As far as only available on a specific model, it could be had on any model. I believe awile back an original 6 cylinder car with the JL8 was discovered. The theory on that one was for better braking while towing.

Doug

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Chris, can you post some pictures? We're especially interested in the area where the axle tube meets the brakes, the code on the passengers side axle tube and the date code on the pumpkin.

Ed

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Initially JL8 was to be available on any '69 Camaro. It was not released for production until early 1969; the January 2 dealer pricing still shows it as "will advise" but does not limit availabilty. The April dealer pricing indicates it was available on all models. The earliest known car was built 02D; virtualy all known and/or documented JL8 cars are Z/28s. But there is at least one non-Z/28 JL8 and while not documented it is convincingly original.

Incidently the 2 Z11s used for the '500' had JL8 but were converted at the Tech Center.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not seen the car yet, but will get some pics as soon as I can get to see it. THe guy that has it is high rank military and was home from Iraq on short leave and had togo back. Car is, and has been for2 years, sitting on blocks in a friends garage local. Unfortunately I don't know where, but will try to find out...thought I knew where every collector car in my area was !!!!!
Will advise. Thanks

·
Premium Member
658 Posts

Here is the plain jane car. Still awaiting resto. I talked to Jerry MacNeish at the Barrett/Jackson auction and am trying to get him to look at the car before I tear it down. I am afraid once I restore the car the originality will come into question. I am hoping Jerry can do something about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts