Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm an idiot. I spent way too long working on my `69 Camaro trying to get it to start. I finally got everything done at about 3 a.m. a few nights ago and I tried jump starting it...only I connected the cables wrong (positive to negative). There was a spark, some smoke, and now NOTHING works. I charged the battery. It's fine. The starter turns the engine over when I jumper the solenoid. Witha charged battery, I have no lights or accessories and when I turn the key, nothing happens. The guages don't even move.

Any ideas about what I might have destroyed? Coil? Ignition switch? This is really frustrating because it's ready to go in every other way but I got excited and messed it up. Please help an exhausted, horsepower deprived soul.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You have bolwn you fuse link that is connected to your starter. It will be a wire that has a large buldge in it --this protects your fuse panel from boo-boo's that you just had
. Purchase a new one for your model year and install . If you are luckey it will fire right off. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, you know what? You're right! I've got a Painless Wiring harness and it has a big huge inline fuse that I tucked into a crevise to keep the engine bay neat. I hid it well enough to forget it was there.
It's blown alright. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You might want to get your alternator checked also...that will usually blow the diodes in them.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
You're lucky. I did that once and blew up a battery all over me. It sounded like a shotgun. I'm lucky it didn't blind me.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

·
Registered
513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phel69:
You're lucky. I did that once and blew up a battery all over me. It sounded like a shotgun. I'm lucky it didn't blind me.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that has happened to a lot people.
Moral: take your time, sleep cures everything.

Glad to see you solved your problem.

----
69er http://community.webshots.com/user/mikestr69

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I guess I was pretty lucky. The battery is only a year old so it was still in good shape...just drained. The alternator seems to have survived and everything's working perfectly now.

Thanks for the help, fellas! That one was driving me crazy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts