Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funky coolant elbow! I had a 3800 series 2 in my impala but never had to deal with the coolant elbow stuff.

Why is this a T and not an elbow? It seems to go from the intake to the tensioner assembly. Last owner wasn't sure and never had the car running but said the previous owner mentioned using it to bypass something.

Thoughts?

Its a 95 with the 3800.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was worried it was that. I'm not that far into the engine so I'm not sure if the heater works or not... there just doesn't seem to be anywhere for this to go... no hose off anywhere.

I'll scout a bit more tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uhh.. ok.. so I did a bit of checking and that elbow is referred to as the bypass elbow. My question is why is there a T in that location instead of a normal elbow.

·
11,454 Posts
I replaced mine in the Impala 3800. Not really a big deal to swap. They are basically there to route the coolant from the engine to the heater hoses. On the impala, they went into a block of metal to mount the heater hoses to. Not sure if it is the same on Camaros. I used the metal versions, so I would not have to worry about the plastic ones again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Those elbows that Don posted a picture of go from the engine block to the belt tensioner mount. The fluid goes through the belt tensioner mount and out the other side to your heater hoses. There shouldn't be a "T". I've had two 3800s that those elbows get brittle and crack and leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know it shouldn't be a T. I was just curious if its a known mod or something like that.

I'll just replace the elbows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally had the time to take off the tensioner and have a look.. seems my timing chain cover is broken right where the bottom elbow goes in...

Is this engine the same as say a 3800 from an impala or GP? I need to find a used cover.

I looked around online and didnt really find a place to buy a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts