Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious if anyone has heard of these little trucks. Its time for me to get rid of my SVO and with camaro prices what they are, I think I'll pic me up a Syclone to play with.

(Maybe I'll hold on to it unlike the stang, but anyway might as well pic one up before its price increases too much, my camaro will be waiting when I have the 30-40K to shell out for it)

Just wondered what everybody elses take on these little trucks are.

Sean

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wicked. As Buddy Baker put it "I got so side ways the sturn Wheel was jus fer holdin onto."

That is how you will feel in that truck at wide open throttle. :D

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Now we're talking, both the Syclone, or even the Typhoon, are one of my favorites cars/not-SUVs. Those vehicles are always a blast at local strips. Almost soundless and really fast. I've seen some way faster than, comparably equipted Grand Nationals, cause of their all wheel drive capabilities. Not much cargo and no tow capacity tho. All in all, one of my favorite vehicles of all time... Obviously except for the First Gen Camaro ;) Syclone/Typhoon info

·
Registered
585 Posts
I must admit one of the fastest cars I've ever seen was this Syclone that used to race down on French Road in downtown Detroit. It came out of the hole so hard that with the all-wheel drive it appeared to LEAP out of the hole like a cat. Awesome....just awesome! Nice choice.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I was able to drive the Typhoon a few years back, and it really suprized me.Its surely not your average s-10.Id love to own one of them.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
The Syclone screams!

I was working at a GMC dealer when we got the first one in. It was my job to prepare it for sale (PDI).

I was very impressed with the power and the bite....it would hook real well....let me put it this way, when I returned to the shop after the first "test drive", the aroma of smoking brake material filled the area :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
I owned a '93 Typhoon for a couple of years. Absolutely loved that truck. Mine was all white. While not as quick as the Syclone (due to weight), it would scream.
I just saw a post this week about GM auctioning some of their mule vehicles and they have a white/gray Syclone up for auction. It is their test vehicle (since they were originally black only).

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
There's a modified Typhoon that races a t Englishtown and it had the front drive disconnected because he will pull 2' wheelies coming off the line. I forget what he was running, but it was awesome to watch. Most of the turbo V6 GM cars/trucks are incredible power makers.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
i've seen the ty-clones & sy-phoons run at the local track quite a few times, most of the fairly stock ones run very low 14's, high 13's. and of course you can modify, then the sky's the limit. they are more quick than fast imo.
i do respect them, they are fast especially for the era they came out in, but are all s-10 when you look close at them, read, cheap plastic galore.

·
Registered
164 Posts
On a side note, can the newer S-10's be made to go as fast with a chip or some other mild modifications? I'm not a big fan of the older more squarish S-10's.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
the sad thing was that GMC really screwed up the marketing- when the Syclone came out, they got so excited over the public buzz around it that they immediately told the public that a "Jimmy" version of it was coming out the next year- and it was to be called Typhoon. it would hold more than 2 people, and actually had more cargo capacity. one dealer around here ordered about 25 Syclones when they came out, and had to sell them for like $15,000 just to move them- and the sticker was about $25,000. it was pretty cool driving by and seeing all those little black trucks lined up side-by-side in the front row of the lot. the Typhoons, however, sold like crazy.
as for making a newer round S truck do the same thing- it wouldn't be that hard. start off with a low option 4X4 (which is all it really was- only lowered with Astro AWD parts instead of a regualr transfer case and front diff) and put the AWD stuff from an AWD Astro or wrecked Typhoon/Syclone under it, and the rear springs, front torsion bars, and front spindles from a Syclone, and you are there, as far as the chassis goes.
then, you could either try to score an actual turbo 4.3, or just stuff a mild (or wild) small block in there- which isn't as hard or expensive as some would make you believe. an LT1 out of a Caprice cop car would be relatively easy to stumble across, and not that hard to get in there.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Get ready to spend more on the Syclone than what you ever did or would want to on a Camaro.

A good friend of mine picked one up.....and after he figured the replacement of three transmissions and adding so many aftermarket parts to keep this thing alive, that he better keep it so he doesnt loose the $30,000+ extra he has in to it.

Did I mention how much fun it was to drive tho..?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I know they tend to be a little on the fragile side, but what can you say I've always had a thing for trucks and figured that it was either a syclone or a turbo trans am and I didn't like the turbo trans am all that much body 3rd gen body style just isn't right (if it isn't a first gen I dont want it), and If I had the trans am I would still want to do a truck someday and dont need three vehicles setting around the house. So I figured I'd get a nice syclone drive (while saving up for a replacement transmission(read modified th400) and also planning a rebuilt motor for it with stronger parts.

Sean

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i don't know if the transfer case would bolt up to a TH400, but a 700r4 can be built to take a fair amount of abuse.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Only do the 400 if you plan on going 2wd. The 700 can be built for some abuse and there is a place in Hesperia Ca. that specializes in Syclone driveline parts.....as they tend to be some what of a PITA.

All I remember from my friends build was that it cost around $1850.00 with a converter and the electronics. I'll say it was worth it.......driving around in a sub 11 second truck is quite a blast.

·
Registered
262 Posts
AWD gives me wooden thoughts!!! ;)

I just wish that I could pull an AWD first gen off.... but such is life.

There is NO reason why GM couldn't have continued a perormance oriented AWD campaign, but ya' know it was too cool and fast for that logic??? :rolleyes: :mad:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Originally posted by Richz68:
There is NO reason why GM couldn't have continued a perormance oriented AWD campaign, but ya' know it was too cool and fast for that logic??? :rolleyes: :mad:
One reason is GM will not have a vehicle that can keep up or even beat a Corvette.

Remember the short lived 87 Trubo GN and T-Type cars and the 89 Turbo T/A? Gone as quick as they came....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts