Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this car a long time ago and one of the previous owners put a disc conversion on the rear of the car. This yr I wanted to change the rotors out to drilled and slotted rotors. So I went and bought rotors but they wouldn't fit over the studs and he used a Ford front end caliper set up with the brackets. So I took all that back and bought the whole kit for a disc convertion. Well now the closer I look he used Ford freaking axles as well. So now I have to change those out as well. my question I guess is there a good and best way to do all this? I have never had to change out axles but did do some research on it. I kept the brakes I bought for now but I might just take them back to summit. Btw, I am running a 12 bolt rear.
Thanks guys.

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
could it just be 1/2" studs in aftermarket axles ?

Post a pic or 3 of your rear axle housing.

·
13,829 Posts
could it just be 1/2" studs in aftermarket axles ?

Post a pic or 3 of your rear axle housing.
X2

Ford are different bolt pattern. Maybe just 1/2" studs in the chevy bolt pattern axle flanges.

Also Ford 9" can be fitted with chevy bolt pattern axles.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
So you checked the bolt pattern and confirmed 5 x 4.5"
That's weird on a 12 bolt.
But I have a ford 9" with the correct 5 x 4 3/4" with 1/2" studs. So not impossible I guess.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you end up needing 12 bolt axles, I have a nice set from a 69 12 bolt. I had the rear narrowed for mini tubs, and had to buy new axles. Keep us posted on your situation. Like to see pics

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I apologize I might have jumped the gun on this one. It is a 12 bolt but he or they took the axles off and put this Ford mounting plate on the axles. He bolted this plate to the axles and the rotors and calipers etc. I would post pics but it keeps telling me they are to big. The problem I am having now is that I was expecting to see a C clip rear end but I took the cover off there is a different set up. What see is springs in the middle (4) of the gears along with two caps that look like caps on a two bolt block. Any idea what this might be and what I need to do to get these axles out?
Sorry but like I said I have does this part before. Thanks for all your help. I'm trying to get this car on the road this yr for the first time in two yrs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like a common C-Clip eliminator kit not Ford axles. Strange and a lot of others sell C-clip eliminators and they are a big improvement so don't be so quick to get rid of them. Why didn't you just replace what was there? Someone probably spent a lot of money to put good aftermarket axles and get rid of the c-clips. We really need to see a few photos to tell if they had Ford ends welded onto the 12-bolt which is a common upgrade and the best when upgrading to good quality axles or if they used a c-clip eliminator kit.

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
Here is my 12 bolt, 35 spline Moser axles with 1/2" x 3" studs, spool, and C-clip eliminators. To install C-clip eliminators you have to cut off about 3/4" or so (I forget exact amount).
So IF you have a large rectangle block at the end of the axle housing.... you have them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I have decided not to mess with taking the axles out and creating another mess. Instead I am tracking down the rotors that are already there.
What I do know for a fact now, is the previous owner installed brakes from a 93 to 97 T-bird. I know this by tracking all the numbers on the brackets and calipers. So I guess my question is this. Has anyone ever herd of this being done? He took the axles out and put these brackets on and bolted it to the 12 bolt axles and then he installed the brakes.

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
I have heard of this using the small Lincoln/Mercury Zepher/ Versilles rear calipers. Might look at a set of those at the parts stores.

The way Dave is describing is that there is no carrier cross shaft? If 12 bolt, once thats out of the way , push the axles in , and the c clips fall out. Just wonder if all of this was replaced with a mini-spool.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure if it's mini-spool or not because I'm not sure what it looks like lol. Sorry.
I do know It's a C clip though because I can see them in there. I would have to take out these two springs that hold these two plates on the gears. I didn't want to take all that out considering I don't know what I'm doing. So I decided to find the rotors instead. I think I found them online I just have to call and check the size. They are pretty small coming in at 10 1/4".

·
Registered
535 Posts
c-clip eliminator is what it sounds like , I have one in my chevy 12 bolt, The axles can be tapped out with out pulling the cover . If you go to classic performance they have the parts you want , that's what I did

·
13,829 Posts
If you post up a few pics we can probably tell you what you actually have.

You don't have to remove any springs to remove C clips and pull axles.

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
IF you have C-clips, the standard way to remove them works regardless of posi or open.

Remove wheels, pull the diff cover, remove retaining bolt and pin.
Push axle in, remove C-clip, pull out axle. <--extra pair of hands helps with this

Do not turn the axles or you could spin out the spider gears.
Use caution with the axle seals so you don't damage them....always a good time to replace axle bearings and seals at this point ;)

Reactions: zdld17
1 - 19 of 19 Posts