Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went from neg .5 L/ .4 R camber to neg 1.3 both sides, pos 4.4 L / 5.1 R caster to pos. 5.5 L / 5.8 R, total toe in 1/8" and what a difference in overall steering stability! The owner/operator of the alignment shop is an autocross racing instructor/ enthusiast and suggested more camber and caster if possible. I can't get over the difference the additional less than 1 degree of camber and caster has made to the overall driving experience. Its the single biggest improvement to steering/handling/driving I've made to date. I can now one hand it a highway speeds and momentarily take my eyes off the road without fear of shooting out of my lane.

Ive done many things over the years to improve the steering/handling characteristics of my 69 including: rebuilt 12.7:1 power steering box by Lee, AGR high performance pump, moog tie rod ends, pittman and idler arms. Even splurged on Hotchkis TVS including upper and lower control arms, 2" lowering springs, 1 1/2" lowering leafs, subframe connectors, front and rear sway bars. I replaced the old stock type rubber subrame bushings with GW interlocking solid ones. When I replaced the subframe bushings I squared up the 4 corners as much as possible. My shocks are Bilstiens in front and KYB gas adjusts in back ( the Bilstiens were too stiff ). I'm running Hankook Ventus 235/45 17 fronts and 275/40 17 rears on MB Old Schools. All of these things helped tighten up the ride, making the car feel very solid, but not harsh, and corner like a slot car. The skittish tendencies were greatly reduced but never eliminated until now, finally.

So, if you aren't happy with the way your car drives try adding some more negative camber and positive caster. Best $100 I ever spent.

·
Super Moderator
32,278 Posts
Having more caster keeps the Camaro straight.
With the present camber and a soft tire, you'll be replacing front tires every 15K miles.
Inside tread will be gone, but new tread on the outside.
A condition accepted when the above adjustments are made.
Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having more caster keeps the Camaro straight.
With the present camber and a soft tire, you'll be replacing front tires every 15K miles.
Inside tread will be gone, but new tread on the outside.
A condition accepted when the above adjustments are made.
Enjoy the new ride.
A small price to pay for a good handling ride, especially considering its not a daily driver and its gonna take a while to put that many miles on it. Now I really want to convert to LS and T56 and wear out them tires.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Adding caster doesnt make much diff to wear...but a lot of chamber will.. as in racing set ups
just under to about 3 deg caster for cruising /road makes for very pleasant driving and still good response.. one side a smidgen forward to the other depending which side of the road one drives in in your country...

Do not underestimate how good, even over a lot of modern vehicles, the factory suspension in good condition, good bearings , ball joints etc, with rubber bushes (modern compounds now) and a professional alignment job done by someone who knows what they are doing.....Great cruisers, and unlike most American muscle cars of this era, before and since....will still handle like a go cart.

Never underestimate a good alignment and suspension components within factory spec wear.... only 2 places where any play maybe be....wheel bearing thow out nil to 1 thu and bottom ball joint slightly more.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good for you, those numbers will help a lot. I am surprised to hear that the Bilsteins were too stiff and you prefer the KYBs
Thanks, yeah I was surprised too. I still have the Bilstiens and may try them again to see if anything has changed. Maybe things have loosened up a little back there and I'll be OK with them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
A small price to pay for a good handling ride, especially considering its not a daily driver and its gonna take a while to put that many miles on it. Now I really want to convert to LS and T56 and wear out them tires.
LOL,,, It would take me 15 years to do 15k

1 - 9 of 9 Posts