Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my old maf sensor with a brand new one from autozone (not re-man) and my car seems to run rougher then before.....I understand the computer has to adjust to the new sensor but while I accelerate I hear a pretty loud clicking noise that I didnt hear before...is this normal and the vomputer is just relearning to read the sensor or is this a problem?

·
Super Moderator
32,894 Posts
Re: Just installed new maf sensor....possible issue???

It reads like it may be a problem.
Have you swapped back the old MAF sensor and compare results?
What is the reason/thought for replacement?
You can take the Camaro to Advance Auto for scanner usage in finding a DTC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was throwing the mass or volume low imput code and was cutting out at times. So I decided I would try a new maf. Didnt know if they new sensor had some kinda break in period were the computer has to relearn the sensor or is it supposed to just work 100% after the swap?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I returned the maf sensor and threw my old one on and it runs better now....but my problem with my old maf sensor was it fails when it heats up.(which is when the mass or volume low input happens). Was that just a bad sensor or what?

·
Super Moderator
32,894 Posts
Generally, new ones are suppose to work out of the box without break-in period. But stranger things have happened.
The theory of operation, a wire has x amount of current going through it from the PCM.
As air is drawn across it, the wire cools and current is reduced. The PCM issues more current to bring the current level back to the X value. This is how the PCM 'measures' the amount of air ingested and is one of many input senses for the PCM to make a fuel delivery decision for proper engine running condition.
Once the engine turns off, the PCM heats up the wire burning off any dirt/trash on the wire for next operation.

A couple induced problems have been using an aftermarket overly 'oiled' air filter, oil does upset the current sensing properties, and removing the screen.
Also, dirt collection over time, the fine dust the air filter does not filter.
Last item would be a broken bellows after the MAF to manifold or a poorly installed MAF against the manifold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I went and bought a remanufactured one from O'Reillys and it worked like a charm right outta the box.....guess my computer didnt agree with autozones duralast ome for some odd reason....oh well. Hopefully that fixed my p0102 code

·
Super Moderator
32,894 Posts
Cool! Good job. Let us know how the Camaro works for a week or so of driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts