Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I "acquired" a 99 Camaro from my mother's estate and I'm interested in keeping it running. Can't complain yet as it has less than 50,000 miles on it, 3.8 L V-6 that's getting 24 MPG, and very little body "issues." Right now I'm just trying to learn the ins and outs of engine maintenance.

I just replaced the ORIGINAL battery last week, and replaced three bulbs in my tail lights. Next up is the rear lifts for the hatch and a complete tune up....and trying to figure out how to get in and out of the little thing....(I own a GMC 2500 HD Crew Cab)...so this is a VERY different driving experience.

Thanks for letting me lurk and read and I'll try not to be too annoying with stupid questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so I lasted about 14 minutes before asking my first "stupid" question...I'm planning on a tune up in the next week or two. I've read several horror stories about replacing the plugs and wires. Is this mostly a V-8 issue or will I be facing the same uphill battle with my 3.8?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Okay, so I lasted about 14 minutes before asking my first "stupid" question...I'm planning on a tune up in the next week or two. I've read several horror stories about replacing the plugs and wires. Is this mostly a V-8 issue or will I be facing the same uphill battle with my 3.8?
its not hard to replace the plugs/wires on a 6 cylinder, you just need the right tools.
i owned a v6 before i got an ls1, and it took me about 30 min total to change the plugs, i used some u-joint adapters and different sized extensions.. some had to come out from the bottom, and some from the top

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. As an "old-guy" I've done my share of tune ups in my youth, but the only ones I've done to cars was a '72 Beetle, and a VW Dasher...not exactly challenges...everything else I've owned has been in the full sized truck arena.

I've got a good set of sockets and a variety of extensions...I'll look for some u-joint adaptors. Thanks again for the help.

·
Super Moderator
32,346 Posts
Welcome to the Club, Keith. One tool needed between trucks and cars is cars need patience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol...yeah I've figured that out too...that...and I need to duck before climbing out of the camaro as I'm prone to smacking my head on the driver's side window.

I've also found that I look like a kid at a candy store when I go through a drive up window as the shelf is over my head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts