Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, I just joined the team. My name is John and I'm in the process of redoing my 69 SS ragtop. I'm a big guy and trying to replace the headers has been a royal pain,especially on the passenger side with the A/C box so close. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
best way is from the bottom. Ask any question, only the dum questions are the ones you didnt ask. I am not very smart, but my iq went up the day i found this site. OH, and welcome to a great site with exhausting resources.

·
Super Moderator
32,346 Posts
Welcome, John. Get the car up as high as you can get it and as wiskey stated, put the headers in from the bottom.

You may have to remove spark plugs and the like to aid the install.
Driver side will be alittle trickier. You'll have to remove the oil filter and maybe replace it with a short filter. Header design will dictate.

If you have a Z-bar for the clutch, this will have to come out also and be reassembled after the headers. Hopefully, the header design will allow the Z-bar. If you have an automatic, you may have to R&R the lockout rod to the steering column.

If you have a oil pan with kicked-out sides, you may have to pick the front of the engine and shove it over to the passeger side to aid install on driver side. Don't forget to remove the fan shroud.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Hello and welcome from OHIO.:beers:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Welcome John to Team camaro! As stated, the easiest way is from underneath the car. Be patient, because replacing the headers can be a PITA at times! :waving:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts