·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a set of Vintage v40s:

15x7 front 3 7/8 backspacing with BFG 225s
15x7 rear 3 7/8 backspacing with BFG 255s

...Stock '68 suspension.

Vintage agreed with this combo (noting that the 255s would be MAX on the 7" width), but what has me second-guessing myself is that they now offer the 15x7 in a 4.5" back spacing which will give me more outer clearance but I lose a little of the "dish" look.

Thoughts????? I can still call and make a change. :hurray:

Thanks!!!

Phil

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
fronts should be fine with those numbers but rear will rub.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I would go 4.5" backspace on all four corners. To get the 4.5" backspace, you need to go to the 15"x8" rims though from what I saw on the web site don't you?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have 8x15 Billet Specialties Vintec Dish Series with 4.5" backspace for the rear and 6x15 Billet Specialties Vintec Dish Series with 3.5" backspace for the front. For tires I run Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T, P 255 / 60R15 on the rear. On the front I run Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T Radial Tires 215/70R15. These tires and wheels fit my 1967 Camaro fine with no rubbing.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would go 4.5" backspace on all four corners. To get the 4.5" backspace, you need to go to the 15"x8" rims though from what I saw on the web site don't you?
Hey Scott - Vintage doesn't have 15x7 with 4.5" backspace listed on their site, but they just started offering them recently according to the Rep. I spoke with yesterday. The last thing I want is to have tires that look "pushed out" from the car. I am calling them this AM to change the order to all 4.5" back spacing.

This is exactly the look I am going for:

http://www.camaroperformers.com/featured-camaros/1st-gen-camaro-1967-1969/camp-1001-1968-chevy-camaro-z28-rs/photo_16.html#

...They note that the wheels are 15x6 and 15x7 with the same tire choices that I have made, but no mention of backspacing. To me, the car looks lowered a bit, but the article says "suspension as it was from Van Nuys."

Phil

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I find it annoying when any manufacturer, dealer and/or distributor doesn't keep their web site updated such as that. I mean what's the point of having a web site if the information on it isn't current and up to date? (rant over) :cool:

Good that they have the 7" with the 4.5" back spacing for you. I like the look of those wheels, nice choice. I agree though, that green 68 sure looks lowered to me as well. Maybe it's true where the article says "suspension as it was from Van Nuys", but if the suspension IS as it was from Van Nuys, it would be 45 year old suspension and has possibly dropped/sagged due to age and fatigue after that much time?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the input. This has actually gotten interesting.

Today I cancelled my order with Vintage. The gentleman was very helpful, but it appears they are having issues with the 15" V40s that isn't going to go away for a while.

First, he corrected what he stated yesterday and the 4.5" BS only comes in 15x8 as stated on the website. :mad: Next, The "factory" made a large order of 15x7 wheels and they came in painted gray with clearcoat not blasted aluminum with clear. :mad: So, if I wanted to go with 15X8 4.5 BS on the rear and 15x7 3 7/8 backspace on the front, they would have "slightly noticeable" color differences. New 15x7s that are blasted on not painted won't be in for a "long time" because they had made a "large purchase" of them. This on top of at least a weeks wait to have the lug pattern drilled. Putting 2 and 2 together, it sounds like they import the wheels and drill them as needed. :mad:

Not wanting 2 different color wheels, I ended up ordering Torq Thrust Ds, just like in the picture of the Thor's Hammer Camaro in 14x6 and 14x7, the dimensions noted in the article. It will be interesting to see how they work out, the Rep was actually looking at the pics of the Thor Camaro as a guide and Torque Thrust Ds only come in one size in 15x6 and 15x7 and he said they will look just like the pic as I have chosen the same tires. The 15x6 are 3.625 backspace and the 15x7 are only 3.75 backspace but he explained that this is better than going with a 15x8 at 4.50 BS due to the smaller rim width.

They will be here on Thursday...we will see! Fingers crossed.

Phil

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
too bad you could not get the Vintage Wheels. I used the V45s in 16 x 8 with 4.5. I just varied the tire size to get the correct od on the tire. I really like them due to the fact they are shot peened and not painted in the centers. They are excellent wheels. I also added after market disc brakes, and the Z/28 front coils. I had to use the domed nuts on the fenders. I get a minor rub on the front over a severe bump in the road. Happened twice so far. Rears are perfect. I can't remember the exact tire size, and they are in storage right now sorry. You can see in my signature they look great.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Not sure if this will help any but here is a few pics of my 69 with the V40's and 235 60 15 TA's. Can't remember off had what the backspacing is but was told when I bought them they would be close to what the factory ralley wheel backspacing is. 3.75 maybe? No rubbing when steering and making full lock to lock turns up front and no rubbing in the rear inner well or on the outer lip. Plenty of clearance all the way around. I'm extremely happy with them price wise and the way they fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to everyone for the guidance. :thumbsup:

After the stock issues with Vintage (I really wanted the v40s), here is where I ended up:

Wheels: American Racing Torq Thrust Ds
Tires: BFGs

Fronts: 15x6 with 3.625 backspacing - 225/60/15 tire
Rear: 15x7 with 3.75 backspacing - 255/60/15 tire

They are definitely not going to rub and I think I could lower both the front and the rear by 2". As we all know, one project leads to another....

Phil

1 - 20 of 21 Posts