Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just dropped a chunk on a new brake booster, beautiful annodized thang, and within three weeks the dang thing is getting as powdery oxidation on it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I purchased it from a reputable dealer. Is there such a thing as a cheap annodizing (or irriditing[sp])job? I figured wet is wet, but I have been wrong about 12 times today already and it's only 11:30 am on the right coast. (vacation time to use)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have had many components gold or cad plated over the years. It almost appears to be a plating problem. I would call the vendor/seller and question them. Also to help stop the oxidation try using a good enamel clear coat, this would help the oxidation but as I said I think something was went wrong during the plating operation.

Wacky

------------------
1969 Fully Papered and Documented Coupe.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Chances are that gold finish you're looking at on your booster is cadmium plated. It's one of very few " plating " processes that can be performed on steel, which I assume your booster is made of. Anodizing and iriditing is for Aluminum alloys, or possibly substrates that have been " coated " with aluminum. There is some work in the area of dying oxides on steel , which is more or less a controlled rust. Oh well , enough of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts