Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a roller cam in the big block Chevy Camaro I just restored and would like to know if I can use Kendall GT-1 High Performance SAE 30 API Service SJ motor oil in it. Is it ok to use with the roller cam or would I still need to use the ZDDP additive? I don't think I need the additive but what do you think?? coupe

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
full roller cams do not need high zinc oil or additives. For initial start up though I do use them in full roller cam motors. Not necessarily needed but I have always done it.

Kendall conventional oil will be fine for a full roller cam motor as is

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
full roller cams do not need high zinc oil or additives. For initial start up though I do use them in full roller cam motors. Not necessarily needed but I have always done it.

Kendall conventional oil will be fine for a full roller cam motor as is
I was not aware that Kendall GT-1 was still available to buy . it was my understanding that BRAD PENN bought out the KENDALL REFINERY to market their own oil are they now also selling KENDALL GT- 1 as well as their own . I had not seen KENDALL anything for years. We had a local jobber who only sold KENDALL lubricants exclusively. They switched to WOLFS HEAD and last year sold out to NAPA they are now a company store . They were great privately owned. since then the store parts prices and service Suck and the people are not much better. Alex

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had 15 cases that I bought 20 years ago to use in our race car. A couple of years later we quit racing and I still have 10 cases of the Kendall GT30 left over. I just thought I would use up the oil now.

coupe

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Thanks frankk, I did not know that. From the Mobile site: the recommended shelf life for oils and greases is typically five years when stored properly in the original sealed containers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts