Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
The key buzzer on my '69 Z28 doesn't work, so where would I check to find the problem on mine? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The buzzer is in the horn relay, but the switch is up on top of the steering column, and is operated by a rod coming down the inside of the column attached to the ignition switch. You can adjust the location of the switch on the column up and down a little by loosening the two retaining screws and sliding the whole switch assembly up or down on the column.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
MarkC, I don't think the wiring junction on top of the steering column includes a switch for the buzzer. The buzzer switch is inside of the steering column next to the ignition switch tumbler. When you put the key in the tumbler, a little pin sticks out of the tumbler that closes the contact points in the switch.

I recently rebuilt my steering column and accidentally broke the little buzzer switch. It is made of plastic with two strips of copper for the contact points and are VERY fragile after 30 years. I didn't like the "dying cow" sound of the buzzer, so didn't even try to replace it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Make sure the wire is connected to the horn relay...it's a black wire with a red stripe that's one of the five wire that go to the relay. I've learned that they were disconnected by owners who found the buzzer annoying.

·
Registered
971 Posts
The buzzer in my horn relay is located on the radiator support below the voltage regulater. My 69 buzzer also sounded like a sick cow. I got a new one at napa for $15.

·
Registered
235 Posts
After getting some help from a friend I tested my buzzer in the horn relay by connecting one end of a wire to one of the connections at the relay and the other end to the positive post on the battery and it buzzed. I also tested a couple of wires on the column by putting a paper clip in there connections and the buzzer worked. It was determined that my buzzer switch inside the column must be defective/broken. I have a tilt column so does anyone know where to buy the buzzer switch or whatever it's called for a '69 Z28? I would like to see what one looks like if anyone has a picture of one. MarkC, Do you think I still need to adjust the piece on the steering column?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mark C, Could any of this have anything to do with why my key won't go into the accessory position. Could adjusting the piece on the column up or down that you mentioned help with this problem? Thanks, Donnie.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Gary,

I don't think getting a new one helps. They sounded like sick cows right off the lot! I was watching Two Lane Blacktop the other night and there is a scene where the guy is sitting at a gas station in his GTO with the key in the ingition. Sure enough, it sounded like a sick cow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts