Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
When the keys is in the ignition, the amperage/voltage to the horn is 1/2 of the norm. If memory serves....

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
ok, no prob, when the key is in the ignition an electrical circuit is made and the horn blows with only half the power it would if you mashed the horn button. perfectly normal.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I was clear with my question. The key reminder buzzer, which is located on the horn relay (on the rad support) sounds very weak when it is energized. I don't have the horn assembly attached to the steering wheel at this time. Would that have anything to do with the weak buzzer?

·
Registered
228 Posts
ok, no prob, when the key is in the ignition an electrical circuit is made and the horn blows with only half the power it would if you mashed the horn button. perfectly normal.
uh.....no.:noway:

Thats not the horn you hear, it's the horn relay buzzing.

utility5 I would say that if it sounds weak, maybe it's the age of the relay(or is it new?). Also check your connections on the relay, as in some cases they will show corrosion.

Or you could just do what I did and trash the GM relay and install a Bosch type relay. Unless of course, if you want the "restored" look.
I never will understand why GM thought it would be a great idea to put the key buzzer under the hood and at the front of the car. Although, that would make a great Discovery Channel episode.:secret:

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
mine is fairly quiet. with all new wiring. when I read out the wiring, wondering why it was so quiet, I got 5.7 volts.

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
A full 12 volts. But the path from the key switch to the relay is alot of connections, especially through the firewall.

I bet if one did a poll, 85% will have the buzzer disconnected, I do.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
not sure if that is correct volts or not. but I like it and it works.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I bet if one did a poll, 85% will have the buzzer disconnected, I do.
How is that done? On my GTO, its very loud and sometimes stays on with the key removed. I could definately do without it if its a simple solution.

And also, another car has a new ACD horn relay, and the buzzer in it is not nearly as loud as an original GM.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My buzzer is not quiet at all! As a matter of fact its a pain its so loud (not near as loud as the horn is). But, I have all new wiring harnesses and new horn relay so maybe that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
mine sounds (quietly) like someone is stepping on a duck. While not loud, it is obnoxious. It also buzzes any time the door is opened, regardless of if the key is in or not. It is disconnected by removing the pink wire at the horn relay, asa Everett said.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder what's up - I've got all new harnesses and new horn relay, and the buzzer is quite. Can you guys with the loud buzzers check your voltage on the pink wire at the buzzer (when it's buzzing) and let me know what you got.

appreciate it, thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
Can you guys with the loud buzzers check your voltage on the pink wire at the buzzer (when it's buzzing) and let me know what you got. appreciate it, thanks
You can a little jumper, or use the meter lead and go from the buss bar and to the buzzer terminal and listen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts